FORUMS: list search recent posts

automatically remove IN and OUT after a LIFT or EXTEND

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc De Coster
automatically remove IN and OUT after a LIFT or EXTEND
on May 24, 2019 at 8:29:44 am

Hi guys,

basically I'm a Premiere user but I'm working here on a serie on Avid MC.
No need to compare both software here, it's not the point ☺
Here is my question:
If I set IN or OUT point, when I use a shortcut to apply a LIFT or an EXTEND, the IN or OUT stays. It is really annoying because, on the next step, when I apply an action (an INSERT or OVERWRITE) at the position of my cursor, I forgot that my IN or OUT is still there and of course my cut is at the wrong place.
Is there a setting where I can ask Avid to automatically remove these IN and OUT right after I've made a manipulation?

I also have a second question.
I try to find an easy way to cut and "paste insert" a clip. My timeline is in "segment insert". The red arrow is on (I feel it is the easiest way to move stuff in the timeline when I don't use shortcuts). When I mark a clip and apply an EXTRACT, as expected, I have an extract ☺ But when I want to "insert paste" that clip somewhere else in the timeline I first have to pay attention to put my yellow arrow on before I "Ctrl+V". With Premiere (no comparaison ...) I have one shortcut for INSERT and one for PASTE INSERT. Is there a kind of "paste insert" shortcut in AVID?

Thanx a lot

Marc

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: automatically remove IN and OUT after a LIFT or EXTEND
on May 25, 2019 at 8:41:40 pm

[Marc De Coster] "Is there a setting where I can ask Avid to automatically remove these IN and OUT right after I've made a manipulation?"

If you do a LIFT...Z...then they stay. A hole is left in the wake, and they stay because it's assumed you want something else to go there. The only way to remove the IN and OUT points then is the G key, as Dave said.

When you EXTRACT...X...they are gone because the section you wanted removed has been cut out, and the gap closed. It assumes you want to keep the next shot and not overwrite it.

As for INSERT PASTE...it'll only insert paste if you have the YELLOW ARROW selected...and you use the same CMD-V. OPT V isn't a setting in Avid, it won't insert paste like it does in premiere Pro. You have to have the yellow arrow selected, then COPY and PASTE with it active. And it will paste either where you have the IN point selected, or, if no IN point is selected, where the progress bar is positioned.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 26, 2019 at 3:58:14 pm

Although a feature request from many years ago was the ability to allow keyboard mapping to stack multiple functions ala QuickKeys but withing Media Composer itself without the cost of additional software. In this scenario you stack both functions in the order you want them, "lift+G".

While one can make assumptions that the next function from a lift is to keep marks in place to edit something else in there, that would just be a replace edit of some kind to start with.

Look into some form of keyboard mapping software for MC and see if it solves this one for you as well as gain other functionality while you're at it.

Michael

Return to posts index

Marc De Coster
on May 27, 2019 at 8:55:33 am

Thank you all.
It seems that there is no solution to my problem ☺
The one that really annoys me is the IN or OUT that stays after an extend "N". I always forget to get rid of that one, and every time I apply a new insert or overwrite, of course, my cut is applied at the position of that leftover IN or OUT.
I'll have to get use to N + G instead of N. It shouldn't be too difficult
Thanx for your help.

Marc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]