FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remote Video Editor Work

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Scates
Remote Video Editor Work
on May 15, 2019 at 11:03:24 am

Hi I'm considering changing my career to video editing. Do you think it’s possible to earn over $60k/yr working remotely as a video editor? This is assuming the day rate is $350, and 3.5 days are worked per wk. Are there enough remote jobs available to do this?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Remote Video Editor Work
on May 15, 2019 at 7:14:14 pm

In my experience, in order to be hired as a "remote editor," you need to be highly trusted by the company doing the hiring. So much, that they trust you to be able to work completely on your own, and only turn in cuts when done, and then take notes to fix. MANY places want to have you on site, so they can check in, sit with you, watch cuts as they progress. Plus they might be paranoid about sending out the footage in the wild to someone. They need to know they can trust that person to safeguard it.

I have done it, and I know others, but yeah, it's with producers or companies that I have known or worked with for many years. Rarely do people hire people they don't know to edit remotely. It does happen, there are sites that do this, but they are ones that need quick little projects done, and don't pay nearly as well as you are hoping.

This is true when starting out too. You can't expect to get the big bucks right away. It takes a while to learn the craft and know how to tell a story and how to use footage to get ideas across. Just like it takes time to learn how to build a house, or make a chair...fix or restore a car.

Pardon my brutal honesty here. Just wanted to let the reality of this be known. You CAN work remotely, yes. But to get the money you are wanting, and to be able to do it remotely, takes time and building partnerships and trust.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Scates
Re: Remote Video Editor Work
on May 16, 2019 at 7:28:55 pm

Thanks Shane. I need someone like you to give me the honest truth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]