FORUMS: list search recent posts

Current state of Avid Symphony.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Dewey
Current state of Avid Symphony.
on Apr 21, 2019 at 5:09:49 pm

Howdy folks,

I've recently delved into Media Composer, coming from Final Cut Pro X and Resolve for color grading.

What I'm curious about is what's the current state of Avid Symphony? Is the plugin option still maintained on a fairly frequent basis, and does it offer any interesting features compared to other color grading programs, or the usual curves, secondary adjustments, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: Current state of Avid Symphony.
on Apr 21, 2019 at 5:20:34 pm

Avid Symphony long in the tooth as far as grading goes. It had a bit of an upgrade recently and got masks... which are OK sort of.

That said it is great for an NLE grading system as it has relational grading (i.e. you can grade a segment, all instances of a subclip, a masterclip, a tape etc) which makes it very quick.

For more serious grading on Avid I would recommend the Baselight plug-in. This also has relational grading and a very deep feature set (akin to Resolve). There's a 30 day trial.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 22, 2019 at 7:53:04 am

I'd have to agree. The colour correction was dated 10 years ago. The new addition of shapes was helpful but they can't be tracked (yet)
Also hardware panels are an issue with Avid.
Round trip to Resolve or Baselight plugin are the most common options.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 22, 2019 at 12:32:33 pm

Seems like some serious under the hood improvements are coming in the 2019 update announced at NAB. Hopefully, will lead to more advances in the toolset.

Return to posts index

Timothy Dewey
on Apr 22, 2019 at 3:15:31 pm

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the response. Was curious because it seems to find any recent in -depth information about Symphony seemed very limited.

Thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]