FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving back to Composer from Premier Pro

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Merklein
Moving back to Composer from Premier Pro
on Apr 20, 2019 at 5:06:50 pm

After 12 years of piloting Avid I had to leave Composer due to work requirements that forced me onto Premiere Pro, but I'm thinking of returning soon.

Three things that I do like about Pro is that you can import mixed media at mixed frame rates without trans-coding, as I had to do on Avid, and I can export with the encoder and keep on editing. I also liked the Premier Pro export choices.

Do I still have to trans-code media to the Avid codec before I edit, and can I export and edit at the same time? That was a real time waster.

Third item is that the Premiere Pro export settings that are available are great. Has Avid improved what they had on board 4 years ago? It twas very primitive.

I'll be downloading the trial version, but I thought best to contact Avid editors first.

Many thanks.

Eric

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Moving back to Composer from Premier Pro
on Apr 21, 2019 at 3:32:20 am

[Eric Merklein] "Do I still have to trans-code media to the Avid codec before I edit,"

Depends on the source codec. If your machine can handle it, no transcode is needed.
Same goes for mixed resolution / frame rates.

[Eric Merklein] "Premiere Pro export settings that are available are great"

AME has tons of options, but in reality, what do you need? You need to go to Youtube or alike, to broadcast (Mxf Op1a) and perhaps DPX or DCP.

Avid has quite some options, and the missing links can be done for a few bucks or with open source. (Or a combination, as i make commercial FFmpeg front ends.)

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]