FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch digitizing (the good old days)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Ryan
Batch digitizing (the good old days)
on Apr 9, 2019 at 6:13:02 pm

I was going over a workflow with my assists yesterday and was recalling the consolidating and batch digitizing process which was the norm for a generation of Avid folks. It occurred to me that maybe I was missing something in the new era.

Now, when we receive a large file or episode we can use Resolve to make a proxy (or just ingest at a lower rez), work off that proxy and re-link back to the original high rez file for finish. But... we still have to have the large file ingested in it's totality.

Is there any way to automate selectively choosing, by time code or metadata, just the short, consolidated clip we need and extract it from the larger file? like we used to do when batch digitizing a consolidated sequences? On a regular basis we use a one second clip from an episode but need to ingest the whole 30 minute file.

I'm talking about when we have a project sourcing hundreds of files from a myriad of sources, not just when we have a nice neat set of raw camera files from one or two sources...

I've searched for a solution to this years ago (and couldn't find one) but haven't searched lately.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Batch digitizing (the good old days)
on Apr 10, 2019 at 5:50:15 am

What?
Nobody ingest whole files unless they need the whole file.
AMA link. Select what you need. Consolidate or transcode.
That's the modern equivalent of batch capture.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 14, 2019 at 3:43:59 pm

Pat is correct...import is pretty rare for me these days. I imported a couple of animations the other day and couldn't believe how long it took.)

In your workflow, don't ingest the large file after the fact prior to your uprez, Link to that original media instead.
Relink your timeline to those linked clips, then transcode/consolidate that timeline. You will be left with high res (with or without handles) of your media, without all the excess. Keep the camera originals on your backup of choice, but you shouldn't ever need to import hours and hours of raw media anymore.

If you've done the Resolve proxy route, you can do the same thing by exporting a list from Avid back to Resolve, and get Resolve to relink to the original files. Then do an Avid AAF roundtrip delivery, which will make Avid media of your timeline at what ever res you desire.

Open that list back in Avid, with the newly created media in your AvidMedia Files structure, and you should have a consolidated, high res timeline.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Apr 15, 2019 at 1:16:27 am

I don’t even transcode or consolidate (short turnaround)... just link, edit, finish, export, backup source files & small avid media files folders (renders & music imports). Solid workflow now. It’s brought me back from PPro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]