Importing Avid ALE into NTSC project

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reena Mang
Importing Avid ALE into NTSC project
on Mar 7, 2019 at 3:41:50 am
Last Edited By Reena Mang on Mar 7, 2019 at 4:15:04 am

Hi all,
I have an excel to avid workflow via ALE import that raises a syntax error when importing the ALE into 23.98 and 24 NTSC projects (clips are the same format as the projects). I use the same process to import metadata for 29.97 NTSC and 25PAL, and it came in smoothly. There are no odd or invisible characters, I'm within the character limit, header, source tc, and source file name all match. Is this a glitch re: 23.98/24 NTSC projects? Is there a workaround?

Thank you,

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Importing Avid ALE into NTSC project
on Mar 7, 2019 at 6:31:41 pm

Well, NTSC, technically speaking, is 740x486, 29.97fps. Always. Avid just happens to make a 23.98 NTSC format to allow us to work in a very low proxy workflow for HD footage. Meaning that if DHx36 is still too big, we can utilize the NTSC codecs like 10:1 and 14:1, and maintain our HD frame rate. It's a cheat to allow projects to do that.

SO...I'm wondering if it is because of that. Just guessing, spitballing. Is your master footage HD and you are trying for this proxy workflow, or is your SD footage, somehow, really 23.98? I know several DV formats recorded 23.98, but in a 29.97 stream and you removed pulldown upon ingest.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Importing Avid ALE into NTSC project
on Mar 8, 2019 at 4:53:12 am

Can you export an ALE the way your problematic ALE 'should' be and re-import it?
In that case, you did something wrong. (Avid can bitch about the smallest thing being not as expected.)
If Avid does not like it's own ALE's, you've found a bug.
Otherwise, mail me the ALE's and I'll have a look.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]