FORUMS: list search recent posts

29.97 fps footage in a 24 fps project

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Ehrlich
29.97 fps footage in a 24 fps project
on Feb 17, 2019 at 12:33:47 pm

I am starting to edit a short documentary that was shot at a frame rate of 29.97 fps.

The intended output at the end of the editing process is to create a DCP for distribution purposes. From what I understand, a DCP will be at 24 fps, which means that at some point the footage will have to be converted into the right frame rate.
Is it best to set up the project at 24 fps right away and import/ link the media at 24 fps or to set up a 29.97 project and convert later on in the process?


Also, 80% of the footage is HD, while 20% (for whatever reason) have been shot at a 4K resolution (both at a frame rate of 29.97, progressive). What would be the most appropriate project settings to combine these two types of footage? (My guess is that I would have to compromise and probably go by the HD settings)

Thanks in advance!
Jonathan


Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: 29.97 fps footage in a 24 fps project
on Feb 17, 2019 at 1:38:31 pm

Don't worry, a DCP can be 29.97 nowadays. (And no, there is NO decent way to go from 29.97 to 24, so be happy.)

Do however be VERY careful with interlaced material. (That means, also material with pulldown applied. If you do a doc, you probably have archive material somewhere.)
You MUST de-interlace, or it will be horrible when projected!

For the mixed resolutions: pick your poison.
Either 80% will look bad compared to the other 20% or all will look slightly less good than it could be.

I personally would go for HD and downscale, but that is just an opinion.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]