FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the maximum digital zoom you want with an Arri Alexa Mini ProRes 4444 2944x2160 image?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Boodell
What is the maximum digital zoom you want with an Arri Alexa Mini ProRes 4444 2944x2160 image?
on Feb 13, 2019 at 6:46:27 pm

Hello Arri Fans!

I'm editing a feature being shot on an Arri Alexa Mini with a ProRes 4444 file codec at 2944x2160 resolution image. Though editing on ProRes 422, I'm keeping the native resolution in offline and we'll be onlining back to the original ProRes 4444 camera footage when we finish. I am editing in Avid Media Composer 2018.12.01.

What is the maximum I would want to digital zoom or push in on an image in Avid MC to maintain top quality?

A. Using Avid MC Frame Flex?

B. Digitally zooming using a filter in Avid MC?

Your thoughts and time are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Bill

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: What is the maximum digital zoom you want with an Arri Alexa Mini ProRes 4444 2944x2160 image?
on Feb 15, 2019 at 5:12:12 am

unfortunately you are asking for an absolute in an area of opinion.

For sure you will get better results using the full size image inside an HD project, rather than simply zooming in on an HD shot.

Realistically you, you have to resize it untill it becomes too soft, and then back it off.

What you typically find on many punch ins is that the focus wasn't as crisp as one had hoped for in the first place, and you are now emphasizing that fact.

Glenn

Return to posts index

William Boodell
Re: What is the maximum digital zoom you want with an Arri Alexa Mini ProRes 4444 2944x2160 image?
on Feb 19, 2019 at 8:33:24 pm

I would like to hear some opinions, and this definitely helps. I thought there were perhaps generally accepted numbers to punch in on certain camera codecs and resolutions. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]