FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MediaFile larger than original clip - Is there anyways to import it so it is smaller?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Menheere
Avid MediaFile larger than original clip - Is there anyways to import it so it is smaller?
on Jan 14, 2019 at 5:12:22 pm

Hello,

I am trying to import a 800MB H264 video that I pulled from a DVD into Avid. However, despite it being converted into a DNxHD 36 file it comes out much much larger (32 GB).

Is there a way anyway to get this file to import smaller?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid MediaFile larger than original clip - Is there anyways to import it so it is smaller?
on Jan 14, 2019 at 6:39:04 pm

You can never compare longGOP to I frame when dealing with compressed formats. I Frame formats like DNxHD, ProRes take up more storage in exchange for better performance and generational loss. Codecs like H.264 are traditionally used for distribution and not for editing and are optimized for a balance between quality and low data rates. I Frame formats will always be larger.

That being said, why not just edit the H.264 directly? While not as optimized as I Frame codecs, systems have come a long way to make it make it manageable (some NLEs more than others...).

But if you want to maintain "similar" level of quality for finishing downstream, you should even consider DNxHD 115 as a minimum (or work native H.264 till the end).

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid MediaFile larger than original clip - Is there anyways to import it so it is smaller?
on Jan 14, 2019 at 6:40:12 pm

A more technical repsonse:
https://larryjordan.com/articles/a-primer-i-frame-vs-gop-compression/

Michael

Return to posts index

Laura Menheere
on Jan 14, 2019 at 7:00:38 pm

Thanks for your speedy response Michael.
I think we will end up working with the H.264 directly, as this seems like the best route for us (the editor is in another country, so I am sending this file to him via internet).

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]