FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I work/output in multiple aspect ratios?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustin Beerkie
How do I work/output in multiple aspect ratios?
on Nov 28, 2018 at 8:45:43 pm

I have 16:9 4K footage that will be first be edited and delivered in 9:16 portrait orientation. However, this same sequence will eventually need to be delivered in 16:9, as well as a square aspect ratio for Instagram. any advice on the best workflow for this?

thanks!
-NL-

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How do I work/output in multiple aspect ratios?
on Nov 28, 2018 at 9:05:04 pm

OK, so the footage was shot 16:9. Then work with it 16:9...online and grade 16:9. Might even output 16:9 4K. BUT THEN...bring that back in, and crop it for those other deliver needs...square and 9:16. As you'll need to "pan and scan" to make sure the area you want seen is seen. And this will have to be done shot by shot for each aspect ratio.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gustin Beerkie
on Nov 28, 2018 at 9:47:51 pm

hey thanks! just to make sure i'm reading you right...

work in a 16:9 1920x1080 project, with the footage transcoded at original 4K size so i can zoom in and crop if i need to. then online the cut and output at 16:9 4K. then i create another project that is at 9:16, and then just open the 16:9 sequence from within the 9:16 project and frameflex to get the right framing on each shot? and then repeat again for the square project?

thanks again.
-NL-

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 28, 2018 at 11:02:25 pm

Yup, you got it.

Might want to bring the bin with the final cut into the project too, to put the export on top of, so you can easily detect the cut points, for easier reframing.

But wow....16:9 to 9:16? Ouch....

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Gustin Beerkie
on Nov 28, 2018 at 11:09:57 pm

ok, i'm glad to know someone else actually thinks this whole 16:9 to 9:16 to 1:1 thing kinda sucks. i was starting to think its just me! some producers seem to think these cuts just auto-conform from one aspect ratio to another. NEWS FLASH, PRODUCERS: it ain't dat easy!! ☺ i haven't seen the footage yet, and i'm hoping the shooter kept these weird aspect ratios in mind when they were shooting and kept everything pertinent to the shot in the center of the frame. fingers crossed.

thanks again for your help, sir!
-NL-

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 28, 2018 at 11:18:48 pm

IN some cases, it's convention. Watch HOMECOMING on Amazon. Main scenes are 16:9, but scenes that flash forward are 1:1...and for a reason that I didn't figure out, but someone told me near the end. It's too spoilery to say why, but it was a planned convention...framed for it intentionally.

but 16;9 going to 1:1...and then worse, 9:16...not sure how to plan for that. Unless ALL the action takes place in that small center of the screen

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]