FORUMS: list search recent posts

RELINK Issues

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
RELINK Issues
on Nov 19, 2018 at 4:41:33 pm

I have a mess of a project with over a dozen 8TB USB 3 drives with RED 5K media.
I have the original Avid picture lock sequence but using DNxHD as the codec.
I have used RELINK in the past and I know there are many variables when in to comes to this tool.
So far nothing has worked for me.
The data is imported as AMA to about re-ingesting.
Only thing I haven't tried is outright import all the RAW data.
This would be brutal and would like to avoid it.
Does anyone have a super secret way of avoiding this hell?
The other issue is that I was provided three power adapters so I cant mount all the drives at the same time.

Just love inheriting these fun projects :P

Return to posts index

Per Scaffidi
Re: RELINK Issues
on Nov 19, 2018 at 8:17:00 pm

Was it transcoded in RedcineX and brought into avid? Or linked and transcoded within Avid?

This is my method when transcoding in RedcineX to avid MXF files:

Decompose your sequence, drop the decomposed Red clips into a new timeline, export EDL, import EDL into redcineX, transcode at your desired resolution to avid MXF, drop into avid media folder, and relink.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 19, 2018 at 9:42:49 pm

[Per Scaffidi] "Was it transcoded in RedcineX and brought into avid? Or linked and transcoded within Avid?"

That I dont know but I will give your workflow a try.
At this point I will try anything.

Thanks again Per!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 20, 2018 at 12:29:12 am

[Per Scaffidi] "Decompose your sequence, drop the decomposed Red clips into a new timeline, export EDL, import EDL into redcineX, transcode at your desired resolution to avid MXF, drop into avid media folder, and relink.
"

I am assuming the original RED RAW resides in the drive somehow connected to REDCINEX media database correct?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 20, 2018 at 5:11:34 am

I tried that workflow and it seemed to smoothly go into RCX .
However, on the way back into Avid, the clips are all messed up.
It's even using clips that were never used in the picture lock.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 21, 2018 at 4:56:45 am

My first question is what information does avid show for the dnx version of the media. Clip name, reel name/id and timecode.

Then concentrate on 1 clip. Find the first clip in the show on the USB drive. Link to that clip. Look at it's related metadata, and decide what is missing, or different that is stopping Avid from relinking.

Reel information incorrectly logged during the transcode is a big issue, as is timecode framerate conversion.
If the timecodes don't match, you are in trouble, and may have to start creating a second timecode column, and entering some manual information to help the relink process.

If it is a naming reel information issue, you may be able to duplicate the correct information to a different column, and relink using that column.

If you can't select that sequence, and that 1 clip, and do a relink based on selected clips on open bins, you must figure out what is different. There isn't much need to fight with 1000 clips over 12 drives, if you can't do a single clip.

Start small and work your way out.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 21, 2018 at 2:51:21 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] "Start small and work your way out."

Thanks, Glenn, I will start as small as I can.
I kinda had too since attaching a dozen drives to my studio Mac is futile.
I already have over 60TB of mixed drives over Thunderbolt 2 and I am sure any more would fry that trashcan.
This problem persists in Resolve as well.
I get the Timecode Extents error and you can see in the timeline there files are not where they should be.
I see a few that made it in but slipped.
I don't know how the originator dealt with this but I do know he used RCX to conform to DNxHD.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 22, 2018 at 1:57:22 am

Finally got to test this.
The conformed clips in Avid have the original RAW name under the TAPE column.
Nothing else.
I added the same info in the TAPEID and I still cant get this to link.
What I did was create a new BIN.
Copies a sequence to it.
AMA the original RAW file into AVID and placed in the same BIN.
Now I used AMA since if this does work, there is no way I can transcode all 12 drives.
I tried every combination possible to RELINK and nothing works.
I even DECOMPOSED the test sequence.
The only oddity I find with the transcoded clips is they all end with ".new.01".
I guess these were converted a few times.
Earlier, I tested this sequence in RESOLVE to see if my adding the filename in TAPEID would help.
I even have RESOLVE set to use filename as REELNAME.
Nothing works there at all.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Nov 23, 2018 at 2:50:10 am

Clip names are unimportant to Avid. The only criteria Avid needs to properly relink is tape name and timecode. That's it. Everything else is irrelevant, assuming you have the tape name and can duplicate it from the original media.

What you are trying to do is not complicated, but you must keep in mind that you cannot relink master clips. Only subclips and sequences. That makes sense if you understand that a master clip is a direct connection to a specific source file with specific metadata and cannot be retargeted. So assuming you've already got a cut sequence, THAT is what you need to use for the relink. So what you want to do is AMA import the Red clips into a new bin, select all of them, then select the sequence. Now right click on the sequence and select relink. In the relink dialog, you want to choose "Selected Items in All Open Bins." Deselect "relink only to media in this project." Now, the rest depends on what is already in your Avid project. If the raw file name is in the Tape column, that's good. Under Relink By, on the Original side, you want Start as the timecode, and Tape Name or Source File ID as the source name. On the Target side, you want to check the Target If Different Than Original button, and select Start for the timecode, and Tape Name or Source File Name (NOT ID) for the source name. Also click Ignore Extension. Leave everything else on the defaults. If that doesn't work, try changing the Relink to Video Format selection under Video Parameters.

If that doesn't work, I'd need more information to figure out why.

Relinking is not mysterious, it is not magical, and it is not problematic if you understand what it's trying to do.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 23, 2018 at 4:16:59 am

[Mike Most] "Relinking is not mysterious, it is not magical, and it is not problematic if you understand what it's trying to do."

Thanks, Mike for the tips.
I actually got it working and it was one tiny user error mistake on my part.
I had to add ".new" in the Ignore characters section.
I should have caught that since all the conformed clips had that on each clip.

I was going post that last night but for some weird reason I could not add anything new to this thread.
It kept taking me back to my previous but in edit mode.
It was late so I gave up and figure I could update today.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.
I honestly thought this was going to be the death of me.
I am still boned due to the numerous drives issue but I can at least see that all clips are accounted for an have been relinked to the original RAW files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]