FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie question about Avid Adrenaline hardware

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Mat
Newbie question about Avid Adrenaline hardware
on Nov 9, 2018 at 7:25:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a small setup where I'm converting my family's home movies and various other odd analog formats (S-VHS, LD, etc) to digital using my Mac. I currently use an old Sony DVMC-DA2 analog to digital (Firewire) box for doing this. This box works well.

I was looking to get another capture device to speed up the process and I've recently seen a lot of Avid Adrenaline breakout/hardware boxes very cheaply. So my newbie question is, do these basically act as a giant analog to digital (Firewire) capture box?

Is there more to it than that? Do they require special software or license dongles to operate?

Do they only work with Avid software, or would they work with something like Final Cut Pro on the Mac and just import as a standard codec DV files like I do with my Sony device?

I understand this huge hardware device may be overkill for my needs, but if it works well enough for SD content like my Sony box I'd consider it. (I don't currently have a need for using the HD ports, even if the Adrenaline box had them installed)

The PDFs on Avid's website make it sound like the hardware sends over Avid-specific video codecs, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance! ☺
-Steve

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Newbie question about Avid Adrenaline hardware
on Nov 9, 2018 at 9:35:22 pm
Last Edited By John Pale on Nov 9, 2018 at 9:35:51 pm

They are cheap because Avid end-of-lifed them. They won’t work with any recent OS and they are pretty specifically for an Avid environment. Don’t waste your time and money trying to use them for what you need to do. The Adrenaline hardware barely worked Adequately for the purpose it was intended.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 9, 2018 at 9:46:26 pm

If you are on a recent/current version of macOS and Avid MC software, then either AJA or Blackmagic Design have cost-effective i/o hardware that will be compatible.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Steve Mat
on Nov 10, 2018 at 3:57:17 pm

Thanks for the input!

I have zero Avid hardware or software products, but I was looking to use this device as an analog to digital bridge, as I see them for under $50. However, since it seems that this product will only work on Avid setups, I'll pass.

Thanks for the advice! ☺
-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]