FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid to Adobe Media Encoder Workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Monson
Avid to Adobe Media Encoder Workflow
on Nov 7, 2018 at 10:51:46 pm

I had a rude awakening today when I upgraded my Adobe CC suite and discovered that Adobe is no longer supporting any .mov files.

I'm wondering what people are doing to get around this.

I use QT Reference movies to go from Avid to Adobe Media Encoder so that it doesn't tie up Avid on longer exports. Is there another way to create a reference-type file that doesn't use a .mov wrapper?

Any other ideas out there for speeding up long exports?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid to Adobe Media Encoder Workflow
on Nov 8, 2018 at 1:11:59 am

Adobe still supports MOV...it's REFERENCE movies that it now is not working with. I export SAME AS SOURCE and take that large file into Encoder.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Greg Monson
on Nov 8, 2018 at 3:55:26 pm

This works, although it's still about 20x slower to export a same as source file from a longer timeline. It also only works with certain codecs. It seems to be ok for DNxHD, but I have a lot of SD content I'm trying to get archived, and it doesn't seem to work with the SD codecs. I notice that Adobe recognizes it as an MP4, even though it's still technically an MOV. I'm curious if Avid is going to shift away from QT in future releases as well.

Return to posts index

Graham Tees
on Nov 8, 2018 at 6:54:00 am

The 2017 version of Media Encoder still supports the use of QT Reference files.

Return to posts index

Greg Monson
on Nov 8, 2018 at 4:04:45 pm

Right. As do all of the other legacy versions, but that's not super helpful moving forward..

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Nov 8, 2018 at 9:35:17 pm

2018 also supports QT Ref Movies so I have AME 2017 and 2018 installed on all my systems.

I haven't made the move to 2019 because everyone seems to be complaining that it's really buggy.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Per Scaffidi
on Nov 19, 2018 at 8:26:21 pm

Also running into the same issue as well as the Sorenson Squeeze EOL.

The way to go right now, from what I can tell, is Export file>Avid Media Processor or MXF OP1. Either one outputs an MXF file with your choice of DnxHR flavor. Not quite as quick as a QT reference, but it's much quicker than exporting a quicktime. For example, exporting a 20-minute sequence on my machine, 4K DnxHR in quicktime, was taking over an hour. Exporting an MXF takes less than 15 minutes.

The only problem I've encountered is that squeeze can't read these DnxHR MXF files.

The one issue that's keeping me from going to AME entirely is that it can't link separate video and audio sources. I'm often delivering a video with multiple languages and audio versions, so it's a huge timesaver to only have to export one video track, and create multiple audio versions with Squeeze.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]