FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it okay to AMA link to already transcoded files?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sha Coste
Is it okay to AMA link to already transcoded files?
on Oct 29, 2018 at 10:37:54 am

Hi,

I've been given a drive to prep a project for the editor. All the files have come already transcoded to .mxf. I have set up an Avid project and AMA linked to these files and all seems to be working. Is this okay to AMA link to files that are already transcoded or will it cause problems down the line?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Is it okay to AMA link to already transcoded files?
on Oct 29, 2018 at 6:18:10 pm

There are two types of MXF files...OP Atom, which is known as "Avid media" where it's separate video and audio that goes into the specific Avid file structure. And there's OP1a, which is a wrapper that has both video and audio, and won't work in Avid's file structure, but will need to be AMA linked. I will hazard a guess to say they are the OP1a type, but don't like to assume.

Who transcoded these, with what, and to what codec? How will this show be finished/onlined?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sha Coste
on Oct 30, 2018 at 9:17:05 am

Thanks for the response. The files are OP Atom and Avid has allowed me to AMA link to them and all is working fine I am just afraid that this will cause issues down the line when it is delivered for online. I am not sure how it will be finished yet as I am waiting for a response on that.

The files appear to have been sent to a third party company to be transcoded but this seems odd and unnecessary to me?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Oct 30, 2018 at 10:07:53 am

Modern systems can retain a UMID (Unique Media IDentification) number, that could be used to match back to the original sources.
BUT, that should be retained in the transcode, and the whole workflow must retain this.
The only way to be sure it will work is to do a (simple) test and see if the guy / software after you can easily relink if needed. (Avid and Resolve is a nice combo, if the metadata is there, it 'should' work.)

So, test, test, test. Always do. Never assume anything to work if you did not test it.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Oct 30, 2018 at 7:04:42 pm

You should not be using AMA to link to proper Avid media. You should take the MXF files and put them in the proper path (../Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 (or any numbered folder) ). After going back to Avid, it should scan that directory and create an .mdb file in the same directory. Drag and drop that file in a new bin and it should populate with all of the clips. AMA is used for non-native files. It doesn't sound like that's what you have.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 30, 2018 at 7:49:19 pm

Yes, I'm with Mike. These files need to be in that Avid structure

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]