FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wrong Workflow? Batch Import File names don't correspond to Original master clip names

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ayla Güney
Wrong Workflow? Batch Import File names don't correspond to Original master clip names
on Oct 18, 2018 at 10:30:32 am

Hello,

I am very new to workflows in avid and now occurring to a problem. I couldn't find the right anwer in the forum, maybe admins can forward but:

1. I have Blackmagic Pocket Footage in Full HD and 4K, converted them into mxf files with resolve, unfortunately all in the resolution 1920 x 1080, project settings are 1080p/25, working on mc 6.5.2. Also i just realized that resolve changed the names of the files while converting in mxfs (untitledxyz instead of Blackmagic camera_ date. aso) I realized that all only after editing...

2. Now I have my editing sequence, one videotrack, 30 mins, in my avid timeline and wanted to "online" the clips again. my aim is to make an aaf for the colourist. As I understood correctly I would need to online the files in avid, give the colourist an aaf, he does the grading and gives me back an aaf which I can use for exporting from avid, is that correct?

3. I am trying to get the files online by right clicking on my sequence and batch importing it. There I find questions marks because I changed the hard drive storages, but when I wanted to give it the new file location I saw that the clipnames don't correspond with the real clip names anymore, they have the extansion .new.01. Why? And how can I online my files then?

I hope my questions are clear if not apologies and I will try to write more detailled where needed. Thanks in advance.
Best,
Ayla

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Wrong Workflow? Batch Import File names don't correspond to Original master clip names
on Oct 18, 2018 at 6:10:22 pm

OK...you are going about this wrong. But I think you knew that.

The files were created in Resolve, right? Now, will the online/grade be happening in Resolve as well? If so, then all you need to do is export an AAF to the colorist, and get them that and the camera masters. If they didn't make the dailies themselves, then a Resolve project file (exported project file), would be helpful to them. THEY will do the conform on their end, as the dailies we made in Resolve.

You can only relink to master in Avid if they were made in Avid. And that workflow would be to...well, with your old version, i'm not sure. I think AMA was out by MC 6.5...but it didn't do 4K...so no, even if you wanted, you couldn't conform in Avid. Your version doesn't do 4K. So send off the AAF and the masters to be conformed in Resolve.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Wrong Workflow? Batch Import File names don't correspond to Original master clip names
on Oct 19, 2018 at 12:21:35 pm

"You can only relink to master in Avid if they were made in Avid."

This is not always true. If you made dailies in Resolve using Clip Filename as it should have been done, then you can conform by linking back to camera originals. What Media Composer does not support is embedded reel names. Cameras like ARRI Alexa and RED, for example, use an abbreviated 8 character REEL name that is a subset of the clip file name when combined with the timecode make it unique. Media Composer has yet to support embedded reel names in these formats via AMA.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 19, 2018 at 4:15:12 pm

[Michael Phillips] "Media Composer has yet to support embedded reel names in these formats via AMA."

This, i would THINK, would be a HIGH PRIORITY for them. Reel names are so damn important, yet none of the NLE's really add that essential thing, except the few that take this embedded one. So stupid. FCP 7 did this, and did this well. FCX? Nope.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]