FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC and H264

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria Winther Christensen
MC and H264
on Oct 13, 2018 at 8:50:08 am

Hi!

I am editing a film which was shot on a Panasonic Eva 1.

(Look at first attached picture):

H264-MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
3840x2160
25 FPS

I do know that H264 is not for editing, so my plan was to link the footage into MC and transcode.

The issue is that MC wont let me link to the footage, I get the message "Can't Be Linked". I am running Avid Media Composer version 2018.7

I have tried to install the latest plug-in for Panasonic, but that didn't work either. I have read a lot of other forums regarding this, but can't really seem to find a solution that works for me.

Could a solution be to make new masters? I can make new masters using Premiere and Media Encoder, but I am a bit unsure which format I should convert to without losing information.

I have made two new masters of the same clip. ProRes 422 (HQ) and DNxHR (HQ). (Look at second and third attached picture). Do I loose any quality by converting to these formats? Is there another format that would be better to convert to?

Original file size (H264): 4,99 GB
ProRes 422 (HQ): 8,18 GB
DNxHD (HQ): 9,07 GB

I am just not sure if I should make new masters or try to maintain H264 for the output? If that is the case, I thought about transcoding the footage in Resolve and then relink it to H264 in Resolve when color grading; but Resolve wont even show/play the footage. Why is that? (Look at the last attached picture)

If these are not the best options, does anyone know another solution?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: MC and H264
on Oct 14, 2018 at 1:10:18 am

Have you tried linking using a selected AMA plugin rather than auto?

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]