FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ugly frame blending after render...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ethan wright
Ugly frame blending after render...
on Sep 28, 2018 at 2:29:32 am

Hiya folks,
Had a very odd batch of clips that I've been working on for the last few months. All 2k, but mixed framerates between 24.9, 25, 25.9, 26, 29 and so on. A bit of a mess, but here we are.
The edit went very smoothly through linking, transcoding, then relinking back to the original footage once it had been edited, and I rendered out the project at 25fps, 1920x1080. However, this has left very ugly frame blending on all (or most) of my clips, as shown in this image below;

Please disregard the colour differences.
Is there anything I can do to fix this frame blending, or am I stuck with this as a result of the difference framerates?? I'm pretty new to MC.

Regards,
Ethan

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Ugly frame blending after render...
on Sep 28, 2018 at 3:39:46 am

What was all of this shot on.

If you have Frame Rates like 24.9, 25.9, 26, 29 etc. then your likely working with Variable Frame Rate Footage. The standard Frame Rates are 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94 and 60. This is likely what's causing this issue. All of this odd frame rate footage should have been converted to standard constant frame rates before the edit even started as no NLE can deal with these without some kind issues cropping up. Mixing frame rates is bad enough without throwing variable frame rate footage into the mix.

If you want to fix this you will need to convert everything to standard constant frame rates and then recut in the footage thats causing these blending issues.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

ethan wright
on Sep 28, 2018 at 3:48:22 am

Thanks, what a headache. It was shot on a Google Pixel 2, I'm not sure why the phone decided that it would have such random framerates for certain clips. Recutting everything is really the only option I have in MC?
Can you explain how exactly I can convert all of this to standard framerates whilst avoiding frame blending? Ta

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Sep 28, 2018 at 4:02:21 am
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Sep 28, 2018 at 4:08:03 am

This is because all Smart Phones and many Consumer Cameras shoot Variable Frame Rate Footage. The only way to to get around this is to use a proper piece of software on your Smartphone like Filmic Pro. Secondly if you're going to edit at 25fps then there should only be 25fps footage, mixing in other frame rates like 23.976, 24, 29.97, 30 etc. is just asking for trouble.

As I said before the only way to fix this is to convert everything to proper constant frame rates. Some people use Handbrake to fix this but I've had luck on a couple of occasions with DaVinci Resolve. Now having said that Resolve is a Pro Product so even it can't deal with variable frame rate footage on many occasions. When it can't then the Audio will drift out of sync with the Video and other oddities will crop up.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

ethan wright
on Sep 28, 2018 at 1:21:51 pm

I've had an idea. My footage is linked, so what if I was to handbrake all my clips, unlink the footage and then relink to the handbreak'd versions? This would retain all the cuts and resolve my issue, right? Just want to check first, because I have over 500 clips.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Sep 28, 2018 at 1:25:33 pm

Probably not going to work properly because the frame rates will be different and there will likely be some differences in the Metadata.

If it does relink your cuts will likely not start on the same frame and things will progressively slide further out of sync. You are likely looking at a recut.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]