Avid to Premiere (and back to Avid) questions

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bags
Avid to Premiere (and back to Avid) questions
on Sep 27, 2018 at 3:51:28 pm
Last Edited By Joe Bags on Sep 27, 2018 at 3:57:08 pm

Hey guys,

Have a new project coming up. I'm Assist Editing at a company that uses Premiere but the major company giving us the work, wants the final edits in Avid.

(I assume the other company has their 40-50 years of experience Lead Editor that only uses Avid.)

I have a few basic questions and just want to double-check if this process is ok:

1. Is this the process for going between Avid - Premiere- Avid? --- Make an EDL in Avid. Open the EDL in Premiere and do whatever edits (and hope all the work carries over when going back to Avid.) And then finally export an EDL from Premiere to reopen in Avid?

2. What are some things that don't translate in the EDL from Premiere to Avid? (From what I remember it's fades, resizing, and any lumetri color.)

3. Is this a good workflow for relinking proxies? --- Create proxies in Da Vinci - Do edits/cut assembly/etc in Premiere - Use Red Giant Link to go from proxies to R3D - Export EDL to bring edit into Avid for Lead Editor

4. Any overall advice from people that have done Avid to Premiere? Or Premiere to Avid?It's a new client and I just want to be extra careful.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Avid to Premiere (and back to Avid) questions
on Sep 27, 2018 at 5:39:59 pm

You can actually send the Premiere sequence to DaVinci via AAF, then export from DaVinci, creating Avid compatible media. Not everything will translate as expected, but the basic edits should work.

Honestly, you guys should just bite the bullet and offline on Avid (just subscribe for the length of the edit, its not that expensive). There are just so many ways this can just blow up in your face, especially working with RED media, its worth it

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Sep 27, 2018 at 6:21:23 pm

Good luck, this is going to be a nightmare of fixes and screwed up edits.
If any syncing is done from one platform to the other then all hell is going to break loose.

As the all other posters will say, if they edit in Avid you edit in Avid.

This is going to be an absolute disaster and likely the last work you will ever do with these guys because of all the problems this is going to cause.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 27, 2018 at 8:51:10 pm

Overall advice? Don't do it. You'll spend more time trying to do the conversion and chasing errors and fixes than actual editing. If they want it done in Avid, do it in Avid. There is no easy way to mix editing platforms, especially Avid and Premiere. Going one way is tough enough, going back, adding more fuel to the fire.

My opinion? Use Avid.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Larry Herbst
on Sep 28, 2018 at 2:21:48 pm

Asked half of that question last month (Avid -> Premiere) and there were a lot of helpful suggestions, but I waved the white flag before getting any of them to work. You can read the thread here:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/908186#908326

Again, I gave up. You may be made of sterner stuff, or have a copy of FCP7 you can employ as a conduit.

Really, can you imagine any other product where if you want to switch from one platform to another, you have to buy a third? When my lease is up on my BMW, I plan to get a Tesla Model 3, but will need to buy a Chevy Volt in order to make the transition from gas to electric. Expensive.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 29, 2018 at 5:54:54 pm

“Really, can you imagine any other product where if you want to switch from one platform to another, you have to buy a third? When my lease is up on my BMW, I plan to get a Tesla Model 3, but will need to buy a Chevy Volt in order to make the transition from gas to electric. Expensive.”

Couldn’t agree more. Yes, there are ways to move a sequence between one NLE and another, but that’s more for doing something in a pinch. Doing it as a designed workflow, on purpose, seems like madness. Just asking for stress, pain, wasted time and money. Whatever difficulty in getting up to speed on Avid is trivial in comparison.

Return to posts index

Joe Bags
on Oct 1, 2018 at 10:59:05 pm

So they're set on their ways. Avid it is ☹

Thanks for all the help everyone. Helped with being prepared to talk to them and get the work.

But my question now is:

- Can I somehow take my Premiere project ... with all the folders, buns, scene Take, Description, Notes, etc... and bring that information back to Avid?

So far, the only way I know how to go from Premiere to Avid is an EDL. Would the EDL keep the Scene | Take | Description | Notes | Etc?

Or would I have to redo all of that in Avid? The director and final editor will be using Avid and wants to see the description, Scene number, and all that info.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 1, 2018 at 11:45:14 pm

[Joe Bags] "- Can I somehow take my Premiere project ... with all the folders, buns, scene Take, Description, Notes, etc... and bring that information back to Avid?"

Nope...sorry, there's no way to do that.

[Joe Bags] "So far, the only way I know how to go from Premiere to Avid is an EDL. Would the EDL keep the Scene | Take | Description | Notes | Etc?"

AAF works...but only partially. Might not relink to the footage, or all of the footage. Best bet is to do XML to Resolve, and AAF out of resolve, transcoding the footage to Avid media. But then that's ONLY the footage used in the cut...this isn't the source footage, the bins...anything like that.

[Joe Bags] "Or would I have to redo all of that in Avid? The director and final editor will be using Avid and wants to see the description, Scene number, and all that info."

Redo everything in Avid. Trying to port things from Adobe will take a lot longer, and be full of headaches.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Joe Bags
on Oct 2, 2018 at 12:59:47 am

I see. Damn.

Thank you for the info. Such a fast response and definitely what I needed to know Shane.

Then we can't really take on the assistant editing job, since the director basically wants me to organize the footage by scene (so he can start editing in Avid.)

Basically the point of hiring me / this company is to have the information that helps him edit an assembly.

The primary thing he wants is the project in Avid organized by Scene, shot, description, etc.

I've handed off projects for Directors and editors with all the notes, amount of takes, any oddities that help them edit.... noted in the project file. But those project files were all in Premiere.

So the only way to deliver them a project with description, notes, etc is to learn enough Avid in time to take the job. I think I should just be honest and say I can't do the organizing and descriptions in Premiere and carry over to Avid. Unless they're willing to give me time to learn enough Avid to -efficiently- create those notes, folders, descriptions in the Avid project file.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 2, 2018 at 5:37:28 am

Yeah, this will have to be done in Avid if the clients want an organized project in Avid. And if you don't know Avid....IMHO, you should pass. For things to be done right, you really need to know the app. Might be a good time to start learning it, so that you won't have to turn work down. I know Avid, Adobe, Resolve...but not FCX. And I've had to turn down work because I don't know FCX.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]