FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking proxy footage

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Brother
Relinking proxy footage
on Sep 26, 2018 at 7:41:40 pm

Hey there. Working on Media Composer 2018.8.0 and having issues relinking to 4k footage.

I ingested as proxies due to the huge volume of 4k clips for this project. As this is a new workflow for me, I found an article explaining the process and followed it.
link: https://blog.frame.io/2017/06/14/proxy-media-avid/

The video format for the clips I created is DNxHR LB (1920x1080). I did a rough cut. and then went to relink the footage, but although the Avid thinks it's relinking and says it is...it doesn't. Just stays linked to the proxy material. After reading the comments section of that article, I realize that a lot of people have the same problem.

What am I missing? Is there a different way to do this that works?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Relinking proxy footage
on Sep 26, 2018 at 10:08:26 pm

Are the AMA links still in the project? How did you create the proxies - in Media Composer or somewhere else? If in MC, and all AMA links are still there, you can hide your transcoded mediafiles folder before launching (add xx in front of the folder name) and see if it reconnects to the AMA linked clips

Or if the AMA link clips are still online, do a "relink to selected" from your sequence to the highlighted AMA clips.

Michael

Return to posts index

Dan Brother
on Sep 26, 2018 at 11:35:49 pm

Thanks Michael.

I had to do a workaround to get a high rez cut out. But will try your method as soon as I can.
But to answer your question...

I did it in MC. I input through the source browser and and was linked through AMA to the shoot drives.
Then I transcoded the media to the edit drive (bigger/faster) as proxies. Raster Dimensions set to Source 1/4, Target Resolution is DNxHR LB MXF, Linked Source Scaling Quality set to Half (Best Quality).

Once everything was transcoded, I took the proxies (with .new extension) and moved them separate bins based on subject matter while keeping the original AMA bins. Then did a rough cut...and tried to relink to my shoot drives so I could then consolidate the media at high rez. Trouble is...it won't relink back to my shoot drives.

So the workaround was to go back to my AMA clips and re-cut the sequence with those clips so I could consolidate.

Luckily, this project is 60 sec spots, so not a disaster, but for longer format stuff, this will be horribly time consuming.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Sep 27, 2018 at 6:52:48 am

This is a solid workflow in MC when you know the right steps.
One trick is to move the proxy avid media offline during the relink.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Dan Brother
on Oct 3, 2018 at 8:58:21 pm

Pat,
Just letting you know that I tried your suggestion. I moved all the media offline and tried to relink but I still had no luck. I appreciate your feedback though.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dan Brother
on Oct 3, 2018 at 8:56:58 pm

Michael,
I tried your suggestion of hiding the folder by adding xx to the front of it, but MC still saw the clips without a problem. Weird. I didn't think that was possible.
So I tried your alternate suggestion of "relinking to selected" and this works. Not the perfect solution, but sure saves time over re-cutting the clips.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Oct 3, 2018 at 9:16:21 pm

If you hide the MC media and the clips play then they must be linking to the AMA sources. Hidden Avid media can't be played by MC.
Relink to selected is exactly the right step. It's done by post houses every day.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]