FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I Still Need to Use macOS for Post?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cameron Dozier
Do I Still Need to Use macOS for Post?
on Sep 18, 2018 at 7:20:57 pm

Hello,

I am posting this question in this forum because I figure if I wanted to make the switch to PC, it would be best for me to use Avid Media Composer, but I'm not totally sure.

For the longest time it has always made sense to use Macs because most of the media we are getting from even commercials that don't go RAW is quicktime based, and most of the time if we get CinemaDNG's or RAW, we convert to Quicktime. Windows has shat all over quicktime support, and the last time I used Premiere in Windows, it was a nightmare, and it had no support for Prores.

However, I am sick and tired of Apple computers. I build PC computers, and the options for all the hardware is plentiful, you can upgrade CPUs, graphics cards, etc, and build a monster. I have indeed built a Hakintosh drive for one of my rigs, and it has worked well. However, updating is a NIGHTMARE, and good luck if you change any piece of hardware....the potential for disasters with lost data and instability is vast.

So, you Avid media composer folks out there, is PC a good option? Can you use all of the media formats people give you? Is it a massive pain in the ass to give mac users a hard drive with your edit on it? Inevitably I'll be giving colorists or special FX people a hard drive with media on it, how does that even work for PC to Mac for Avid?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Do I Still Need to Use macOS for Post?
on Sep 18, 2018 at 8:02:43 pm

PC's running Windows have always been used with Avid...but I'm sure you know that. Avid can read QT and most QT formats...including ProRes. The only thing a Windows machine can't do is ENCODE to ProRes. So if your clients are fine with DNxHD or DNxHR QT files...then you are good. And you can format drives ExFAT and those are readable by Mac and PC.

I am really only sticking with a Mac (Hackintosh) because I have ProRes deliverables for many clients.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Cameron Dozier
on Sep 18, 2018 at 8:31:18 pm

Yeah, not being to encode Prores for people would be tough, just so many people depend on it. I would have had a lot of trouble with this current project I'm on if I wasn't able to encode to Prores. Thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Sep 19, 2018 at 8:49:31 am

PCs everyone and an old imac to make Prores if needed. Far less grief with updates. Avid or premiere and more bang for you bucks.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Cameron Dozier
on Sep 20, 2018 at 6:11:38 pm

So, I was reading about the Post software Scratch, which is mainly being used for high end color correction, and apparently it can output Prores in Windows! Only reason I looked at it was because my colorist is using it.

On another note, after the color work my guy did, there is some sort of render error on my movie currently where the last line of pixels all the way on the right side of the screen is distorted somehow....he said tech support normally fixes a problem like that pretty quickly, but maybe keep that in mind before depending on it!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 20, 2018 at 6:34:28 pm

Yes, Scratch does that...as does another high end software, forgot which. Apple licensed ProRes to those two apps only. So if you have the bucks, then sticking to Windows is fine.

And there are other software hacks that enable this...FFMPEG and a few others. But the files they produce have wrong metadata or flags or something, and get kicked back by network QC.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 25, 2018 at 5:14:46 am

No. It just makes things easier.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]