Arri Alexa Mini .mxf Raw and Avid Media Composer Workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olaf steel
Arri Alexa Mini .mxf Raw and Avid Media Composer Workflow
on Sep 14, 2018 at 4:01:13 am
Last Edited By olaf steel on Sep 14, 2018 at 4:26:14 am

Hello!

I've been scouring the web for a workflow for bringing Arri Alexa Mini .mxf files into Avid. I can only find posts and tutorials for older versions of Avid, and the tips in those are not working for me.

I have what I believe to be .mxf OP1a raw camera files and Avid MC 2018.5.0, which should be the most up-to-date version.

The Avid website says that the mxf OP1a plugin comes preinstalled with the latest versions of Avid, but when I try to AMA link to the camera files, I get the following:

The file cannot be linked. Do you want to import it?

Any attempt to direct import the clip crashes the Avid. Also, that's surely never going to be the method here.

The console says there are "invalid parameters."

I can transcode the footage just fine in Resolve, but I'd rather skip that step and AMA link then transcode in Avid. Surely there's a way?

Here are my current AMA plugins:

The folder structure copied from the camera card seems to be intact. There are 2 files along with the .mxf files - A007R0UD_AVID.ale and A007R0UD_BIN.bin, which leads me to believe there must be a way to AMA link to these .mxfs!

Can anyone advise me on the correct workflow here?

Thanks for your help!

Olaf

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Arri Alexa Mini .mxf Raw and Avid Media Composer Workflow
on Sep 14, 2018 at 12:17:21 pm

These are most likely ARRIRAW file wrapped in an MXF container and is not supported by Media Composer. MXF is just a wrapper and the MXF plug-in needs to support both wrapper and codec withing. So MXF wrapped DNxHD, XDCAM to, etc. are all fine.

For ARRI MXF you will need to go through a dailies process in a an application that supports it, Resolve, Arri Converter, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 16, 2018 at 1:39:07 pm

http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/tools/arriraw_converter/

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 16, 2018 at 2:23:34 pm

Just keep in mind that ARRIRAW Converter does not output MXF or MOV wrapped DNxHD/HR. It can export MOV wrapped ProRes if you want to go that route. Resolve and other dailies type programs will export MXF OP1a, MXF OPatom (Avid native format) as DNxHD or DNxHR.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]