FORUMS: list search recent posts

choppy go pro video

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lor Porter
choppy go pro video
on Sep 13, 2018 at 6:20:12 pm

the go pro video plays back choppy in my project. How can I get it smooth again? I'm using MC - the subscription version. On a Mac. Project settings 1080p/23.976

Any advice would be very helpful.
Thanks
Lori

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: choppy go pro video
on Sep 13, 2018 at 6:34:01 pm

Did you transcode it to Avid media? Does the frame rate match the project frame rate? Does it look choppy when viewed in QT or VLC player, NOT in Avid?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Sep 13, 2018 at 10:47:54 pm

Shane,
I have it linked to the media. Media plays fine off the desktop. How do I transcode to avid media?
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question...
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 14, 2018 at 12:54:25 am

Linking to H.264 footage, and trying to play that back in Avid smoothly is a lot to ask. H.264 is a difficult codec to decode on the fly.

Once you AMA link (or Source Browser LINK), go into the CLIP menu and choose CONSOLIDATE/TRANSCODE. Then transcode it to high res if working high res, or low res if doing an offline/online workflow. DNxHR SQ is a decent full quality format.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Sep 14, 2018 at 12:19:34 pm

Thank you -
My choices are
DNxHD 36
DNxHD 50
DNxHD 80
DNxHD 115
DNxHD 175
DNxHD 175 x

there are more - but those are the avid codec on the list. there is also a J2K 1080p 23.876 (not sure what that would do).

Of the above what one do you think is best?
Thank you,
Lori

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Sep 14, 2018 at 12:27:39 pm

Also forgot to ask...

Once transcoded - then I just (by TC) replace out all those shots with the new media on my timeline - correct?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 14, 2018 at 6:10:00 pm

Ah, you are in an HD project, and the footage is HD, not 2K or 4K? Got it. DNxHD 145 is good...even 115 is on par, but get it to match the other media, if you transcoded it. If not...and you have a LOT of GoPro...DNx115 will be fine.

And yes, once transcoded, you can manually overcut. Although you might be able to relink to it. But you'd have to take the drive with the GoPro masters offline, leave the media drive online, open the transcode bin, and relink to all open bins.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Sep 14, 2018 at 6:25:28 pm

Thanks Shane,

I had to hit the other button - keep source frame rate... it came up. The footage was 4K... and there wasn't that much that I used - I just manually overcut the video.

My 4K video that I'm linked to plays correctly - I guess I just thought the gopro would as well.

Thanks for all your help - have a wonderful weekend!
Lori

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 14, 2018 at 11:54:39 pm

Hi Lor -
this is NOT a dumb question. h.264 footage from GoPro's and DJI drone cameras ALWAYS stutter, and as Shane has pointed out, this footage must be transcoded. This is a VERY important post, because "everyone" always wants to blame the storage, but it's NOT the storage - it's these horrible codecs implemented by Go Pro and DJI.
This exact problem occurs with other editing software, like Adobe Premiere. Many people seem to get very upset by all of this, but it's just fact of life with these highly compressed codecs.

Thank you for asking this question. It was a very important question, that many people don't want to deal with.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Sep 15, 2018 at 12:47:19 am

Thanks Bob!

So - if I can take advantage of this thread... the DJI files I have - once rendered - did play correctly. Is that just because it's different from the go-pro files?

Also - do you know of anything to make a wide angle lens look less "rounded" or distorted?

I've got a million questions about files - and export settings, etc! Hahaha I usually think a thousand people already know the answers to the questions I have. Glad to know someone else will benefit from this thread!

I can't say how many times this forum has saved my butt! You all are so patient and wonderful!
Lori

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]