FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with dimensions on export from Media Composer Ultimate

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik DiGennaro
Issues with dimensions on export from Media Composer Ultimate
on Sep 8, 2018 at 5:48:57 am

Hello! Let me preface this by saying I am new to Media Composer, and have attempted to export this project 9 times so far to no avail.

Here are my specs:

Source footage is 2K 2048x1152 Apple Pro Res 4444 shot at 23.98 fps

Using Media Composer Ultimate

Project Format is the preset "2K 2048x1152 16:9 23.976P"

Project Format Color Space is RGB 709

Project is an external project type

I have AMA linked all footage to bins, not imported

Need to export the final sequence for color, at 2048x1152 in a DNxHD 444 codec in QT wrapper.

macOS High Sierra

Project is approximately 15:37 in length (15 mins 37 secs)

Here are my issues:
When I got to export, I go File>Output>Export to File. Then I choose my export file destination, which is an external hard drive. Here is where problems begin. I am unsure as to what to use as an export setting. I have been using the "Send to QT Movie" preset, but then clicking "Options...". Under Options, I click the drop down menu next to "Export As:" and select "QuickTime Movie".

I then make sure that the check boxes to the right of this drop down are selected on "Use Selected Tracks".

I CANNOT export this project using "Same as Source". I get an error message every time not allowing me to export due to something beyond my comprehension(see embedded image).

To work around this, I select "Custom" underneath that, and go to "Format Options...".

From there, under a new dialogue box called "Movie Settings", I click "Settings...".

Once in "Settings...", I choose the "Compression Type" to be "Avid DNxHD Codec", since ProRes4444 isn't available. I keep Frame Rate as "Current". Under Color Levels, I select 709. Under Alpha, I select uncompressed. Under Resolutions, however, is where I have another issue. I can only select from a long list that only contains 1080i, 1080p, 720i, or 720p. Clearly I want none of these, however I have been choosing the one allowing me to select DNxHD 444 10-bit at 1080p.

I go back to the "Movie Settings" box, and go down to "Size...". Here is where I could be completely and absolutely screwing myself. I have tried exporting with this Size setting as "Current" AND I have tried exporting it as "Custom" and typing 2048x1152 in the boxes to the right.

After this, I exit out back to Export Settings. Here, I change the width and height under Video Format to 2048 x 1152. Then I choose Size to Fit on the right of that. Not sure if I should be choosing "Size to Fit" or "Crop / Pad" here.

Under "Display Aspect Ratio" I select "Native dimensions (2048 x 1152)".

Then I begin the export. Every export so far has taken about 40 minutes.

In the finder window, when I either hit (command + I) or right click and find info, it displays my dimensions as 2048x1152.

HOWEVER, once I open up this rendered out file in Resolve to check before sending to colorist, Resolve tells me that the dimensions are 1920x1080. This has been the case for the past 4 renders tonight/this morning. After talking to the colorist, who is/was as confused as I am, he suggested I go to the Avid Creative Cow forums and/or reddit for help. I greatly appreciate any help or advice anyone can lend!

Error message received when attempting to export "Same as Source":

Finder's Info on the final rendered file:

Davinci Resolve's info on the SAME rendered file:

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Issues with dimensions on export from Media Composer Ultimate
on Sep 10, 2018 at 6:02:12 pm

Definitely use Same as Source. The error message about Long GOP means you have some elements in your timeline that are not ProRes4x4. Copy your sequence, select it in the bin and choose “Transode”, and transcode any non-ProRes items to ProRes4x4.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Issues with dimensions on export from Media Composer Ultimate
on Sep 10, 2018 at 6:04:07 pm

P.S. DNxHD is an HD-only format. For other sizes, you would use DNxHR. but you should not need to use that when your sources are ProRes — as long as you are on a Mac. ProRes on PC’s is limited.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]