FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can one change settings so clip frm number is 1 not 0?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Young
How can one change settings so clip frm number is 1 not 0?
on Sep 6, 2018 at 3:27:50 pm

Just like what the subject says. I work with a lot of animation and graphics and people are always asking 'what frame is that?' so they know when to start with an animation or graphic. I know because the clips start on frame 0 in the preview monitor, that I need to add '1'. So if the preview monitor says frame 22, I should say frame 23. But I'd love an easy way to permanently get rid of this frame 0 crap cause it is a pain.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How can one change settings so clip frm number is 1 not 0?
on Sep 6, 2018 at 4:24:09 pm

OK, are you looking at TIMECODE, or FRAMES? You can set the timecode viewer to show frames, instead of timecode. Just making sure you are doing that. Because when you do that, the first frame should default start at 1. Timecode will always start at 00 for imported stills or graphics.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joshua Young
on Sep 6, 2018 at 6:11:46 pm

I wish I was talking about timecode. No 100% not timecode. I mean the frame counter. In situations like the preview monitor, it starts at zero. But we have a need every few minutes to call out frame numbers of clips so animators know exactly where to put graphics. It'd be nice if that zero didn't exist and was '1' so we didn't have to keep adding 1 when looking at the numbers.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 6, 2018 at 8:42:23 pm

You need to use the "Frame Count Start" column for that and you can have it start at any value you want. It is a bit confusing to have the old method still in there, but that's the way it was implemented. ☺

Michael

Return to posts index

Joshua Young
on Sep 7, 2018 at 4:07:54 pm

Sadly that doesn't work for this scenario. We need to be able to see what frame number a clip has in the preview window at any point in the clip. Also in the sequence itself. So if we're half-way through the clip and it says the frame in the preview window is 82, I know it's actually 83 because the frame counter in preview window starts at 0. BUT we're looking for an automatic fix to this.

Looks like the method we have is the only solution for now which is choose the dpx column, select all clips and change it to frame-0000001 . Then in the timecode, we choose the 'other counters' option, select the track and then on screen we'll see the real frame numbers . Thanks though.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 7, 2018 at 5:11:42 pm

But you can see it above the source/record monitors as with other time-based counters:

Select:

And how it looks side by the side with the old frame counter:

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]