FORUMS: list search recent posts

DNxHD setting to convert video files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kevin brown
DNxHD setting to convert video files
on Aug 8, 2018 at 4:19:49 pm

Hello, I’m using MPEG STREAMCLIP, to convert my raw .MTS video footage into QuickTime files using the Avid DNxHD codec. The file I’m converting is 2.4GB, once I converted the file, it becomes 8GB.
Is there any other way to reduce the file size using another DNXHD setting? I’m looking for the DNxHD setting that gives me good quality at a smallest size possible!

* Setting in Steamclip is Avid DNxHD
* Resolution DNxHD 36 8bit

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: DNxHD setting to convert video files
on Aug 8, 2018 at 5:27:53 pm

You are taking a highly compressed camera original format and converting it to an editable format...file sizes will increase. Because editing formats need specific settings in order to make editing easier. Sure, you CAN edit some camera original formats natively, but they take lots of system resources to "decode" them on the fly. Converting to editing codecs means no decoding needed, therefore it's easier to edit. But this transcoding increases the data rate, thus making them larger.

DNx36 is an "offline resolution," meaning it's meant only for saving space...it's not a final quality resolution.

You have two options...either convert to high quality DNxHD or DHxHR...or go the offline/online route...cutting in low quality and relinking to the masters later and transcoding to high res when done. The offline/online method would mean doing the importing and converting with Avid, or Resolve...MPEG STREAMCLIP can't be part of that workflow.

But if you go full res, then you'll need to make those transcoded files the new masters. You can convert to an XDCAM codec, as Avid media. But you can't use MPEG STREAMCLIP for that, you'll have to use Avid or Resolve...and then things get complicated...

Do you want easy, or complicated?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

kevin brown
on Aug 8, 2018 at 7:14:58 pm

Thanks so much for the response!
I want to “AMA link” to video files, that will function normally without any jitter or playing choppy! The DNxHD codec works perfect for me allowing great control of the video footage. Converting the file to DNxHD is time consuming and the files are huge!

Now that you mention using a low quality approach, and later going back to relink for transcoding. What low quality format can be use with AMA Linking, that allows the footage to move around Avid without jitter etc?
Do I have to use the MPEG STREAMCLIP software to convert the video files to low quality?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 8, 2018 at 8:02:25 pm

Keep MPEG Streamclip out of the workflow. AMA link and transcode to a low data rate proxy (DNxHD 36). Edit away. Relink sequence back you camera masters and transcode sequence to finishing codec like 115 or above.

Michael

Return to posts index

kevin brown
on Aug 8, 2018 at 10:21:55 pm

Thanks,
I really appreciate all the help!

Return to posts index

Joseph Fulton
on Aug 17, 2018 at 5:19:08 pm

Reiterating to not use MPEG Streamclip for creating files. It strips the embedded Timecode in your file.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 8, 2018 at 11:05:23 pm

[kevin brown] "I want to “AMA link” to video files, that will function normally without any jitter or playing choppy!"

No. Nor will it work in Adobe Premiere or Resolve without being choppy. Unless you drop thousands of dollars on graphics cards, lots of RAM, and a very fast processor to decode this on the fly.

[kevin brown] "Converting the file to DNxHD is time consuming and the files are huge!"

Welcome to the world of post....where things take time. Always have....it's part of the business. You were just talking about converting with MPEG STREAMCLIP...that takes time too. And for not huge files, use the offline/online workflow. Or...get bigger and more hard drives...they aren't too expensive.

[kevin brown] "What low quality format can be use with AMA Linking, that allows the footage to move around Avid without jitter etc?"

DNxHD 36.

[kevin brown] "Do I have to use the MPEG STREAMCLIP software to convert the video files to low quality?"

No...it would be best if you didn't use that in this process at all.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]