FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling Avid Full Screen Playback (cropping to 2.39:1)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noe Dodson
Scaling Avid Full Screen Playback (cropping to 2.39:1)
on Jul 27, 2018 at 2:57:29 am

Dear all,

I am working on a feature film and we would like to be able to use the entire 4k monitor for playback. We are shooting on the Alexa Mini with Arriscope (2.8k), so we bought a wide 34" 4K monitor but there's no way to scale up to fill up the entire screen. The only way I've found so far to get the most of this monitor is to make exports and use VLC's "Crop 2.39:1" option, which gives me a perfectly full image, but it would be ideal to be able to do it on Avid directly.

Thank you!
N.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Scaling Avid Full Screen Playback (cropping to 2.39:1)
on Jul 27, 2018 at 12:05:38 pm

As a test, try creating a 2.39 aspect ratio project. Assuming your footage is 2.39 and not 1080 with baked in letterbox, it "might" work. The other issue might be the IO device always assumes a 16:9 format? Something to test though. I don't believe there are any settings in the video output to indicate the aspect ratio of the display which would be a good feature to add if not. Something for Avid to work out with their hardware IO partners.

Michael

Return to posts index

Noe Dodson
on Jul 27, 2018 at 1:10:06 pm

Hello Michael,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer!

Well, unfortunately the footage is indeed 1080p. Because of a very tight deadline I am editing as the shoot is still going on, shooting with 2 cameras we thought it would be safer to create 1080p proxies to make the whole process easier (we're using the editing booth to watch dailies... it's a bit of a mess!). DaVinci has an output scaling that works quite well, but unfortunately I don't really have time to go back and forth (I sync on Avid). And the problem with VLC is that it crashes a lot when using the Crop 2.39:1 feature... I just wish Avid had an output scaling like DaVinci does, that would be ideal...

Thanks again, and let me know if you think of anything else!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 27, 2018 at 1:19:17 pm

With baked in letterbox, not much you can do now but let me try a few things and get back to you. I just realized you were referring to Avid Full Screen play, and not via an IO device. I would think that the 2:39 project type on native 2:39 dailies would work.

Michael

Return to posts index

Noe Dodson
on Jul 28, 2018 at 3:48:48 am

Hey Michael,

Cool, thank you. I assume making 2.39:1 proxies would work, but I'm not sure how much that is going to affect my workflow (weight of files, etc...) so I'm a bit reluctant to do it (I'm not a trained editor, I'm a director who loves to edit but my technical knowledge is limited).

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Aug 22, 2018 at 6:36:18 pm

Is the monitor really 4K? That would be an expensive Pro monitor attached to a video output device.

I suspect you bought a UHD monitor.

Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]