FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Definitive Way to Import/Resize a High-Res .jpg?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Caino
The Definitive Way to Import/Resize a High-Res .jpg?
on Jul 22, 2018 at 1:34:51 am

Hi Folks,

Long time editor, first time Avid'er. I have a .jpg that's 3271x2450. I want to import it into Avid, retaining the highest resolution possible without Avid stretching it to 16x9, then I want to add it to the timeline, zoom in to fill the screen and add a little push in on it.

I would love a step-by-step on the best way to do this. I'm using Media Composer 8.5.3. I'm coming from Premiere where it just... does it.

Please and thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: The Definitive Way to Import/Resize a High-Res .jpg?
on Jul 22, 2018 at 2:21:12 am

Try AMA linking to it as import will always scale it to project resolution. Or look at the manual on using Pan & Zoom.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 23, 2018 at 5:33:30 pm

This won't work exactly like it does in Premiere, or old Final Cut Pro. When Avid imports a still and creates media, it creates media at the project dimensions...so 1920x1080. If you do AMA like Michael suggested, then it will LINK to the still (like Premiere does), and you can use FRAME FLEX to do your moves. But that can be more difficult and limiting compared to using the PAN AND ZOOM plugin that comes with Avid. You'll import the still, but using the plugin, it'll allow you to point to the original, and apply better moves to it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 23, 2018 at 5:39:53 pm

What Shane says... Avid's position is FrameFlex replaces Pan & Zoom, but I think your mileage will vary. If using Pan & Zoom, import file first as a reference proxy, apply the Pan & Zoom effect, then point to the hi-rez original from within.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Buday
on Jul 27, 2018 at 3:20:17 am

I went thru hell re: bringing images into the AVID on a huge project. The assistant editor said the BEST way to ingest images was to create a separate project at the highest possible resolution, transcode them there, then bring those bins into the main project. I fought this tooth and nail because I quickly discovered that AMA linking the images retained their native resolution, which is what I wanted (like FCP, etc.).

Long story short, I listened to the assistant, but I wish I hadn't. If you use AMA, you can always adjust frameflex, etc at ANY time, which is critical. BUT, unless someone can explain to me a foolproof way to relink AMA clips in the event the source clip drive and or path changes, AMA re-linking for me has been a real pain in the butt.

If there was a way to tell AVID, the clips are somewhere on this drive, go find them, relink - and let me know if you have any conflicts/issues, etc - that would be awesome, but as of yet, I've found no clear way to consistently make it work. If there is, please let me know 😉

MB

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 27, 2018 at 11:55:57 am

I wish Avid would publish the definitive whitepaper to linking and more importantly relinking for different scenarios with AMA and other traditional import. You could split the difference... In the same project, AMA link to hi-rez stills and transcode to source resolution to create DNxHR. But you might need to plan for additional storage as the 30-second default starts to add up in storage. 200 images 6Kx4K in size would be close to TB of DNxHR HQX. But the upside it is finishing quality and managed for moving around.

Michael

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Jul 27, 2018 at 4:55:34 pm

AVID only imports photos in the project size. Thus, zooming in and out doesn't work well! I don't know why they don't fix this. We use Boris Red on our AVID systems. It's great for photo resizing, as it brings in photos at original size. Use the timeline within Boris to manipulate scale. There is a learning curve to using Boris, however. If you haven't used it, it would not be a quick fix. If you have Final cut etc...you might want to do your photo movement there leaving plenty of room for handles...exporting movies....and bringing those clips into AVID. That would be a quick solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]