FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid to Resolve Reconform Madness

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
José Luis Martínez Díaz
Avid to Resolve Reconform Madness
on Jun 26, 2018 at 8:59:02 pm

Hi,

I’m having a big issue trying to reconform a short documentary edited in MC in Davinci Resolve Studio 15.

The timeline is a combination of red epic, blackmagic pocket, fuji xt2 (4k movs) and a majority of 5d mark 2.
Red material was transcoded to dnxhd 36 in resolve and handled to the editor via mxf media files and aafs for relink. Rest of the material was directly imported by the editor. There’s also a bunch of graphics and animations in various format directly imported aswell.

The timeline has been simplified and an AAF created as usual. When imported in resolve( all original files in the media pool), none of the graphs and animations are recognised, all of the bm, some of the red epic, almost none of the dslr.

I can manually force conform clip by clip, but timecode is of by several seconds, without any apparent pattern. Even worse: edit points are off by several frames (delayed) when checked against the avid generated reference movie (with 2-pop)...

Camera originals, timelines in both avid and resolve are 25p, and when cheking TCs in avid vs. Originals, all of avid generated files start with 1:00:00:00 (dslr originals in 00).

I got the project and avid mediafiles to have a look. He is a director / editor without assistants or tech support, but apart from the tcs starting at 1:00:00... and some inconsistencies in naming (some of the canon files lost the mov extension in the reel name) there’s nothing strange.

I’ve tried to relink to original camera files (linking original files in a new bin, selecting the timeline and relinking using Selected files in open bins...) but only some of the red clips are relinked to the originals, with the correct timecode. Neither the animations clips or ANY of the dslr clips seem to relink (Ive tried Most combinations in the relink dialogs.

So... as you could imagine I could manually reconform in davinci, but I’ll have to nudge every edit point and slide the clip to match it to re reference...

Do any of you have any idea what could I try to avoid this scenario?.

Thanks!
J

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid to Resolve Reconform Madness
on Jun 27, 2018 at 2:19:24 am

[José Luis Martínez Díaz] "Rest of the material was directly imported by the editor. "

How were the files "imported" by the editor? If they dragged into a bin, or used the FILE>IMPORT option, then they did a very wrong thing. That won't maintain any of the source timecode. Only AMA linking, or in later versions, using the SOURCE BROWSER to link to the media, and then transcoding will maintain any of the original timecode. But then you also, in many cases, need to add a REEL number or TAPE ID so that you don't run into issues with repeated clip names and timecode. Do this modification to the linked files, before you transcode.

Yeah, just importing will mean maintaining near zero of the original materials metadata, making relinking impossible.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 27, 2018 at 6:42:35 am

As Shane says this is an error on the editors part. Incorrect ingest method.
I'd do the conform in the Avid and then export out that finishing media and AAF to resolve.
If you are having to cut 5D to natch red footage you will end up degrading the red content as you can't improve th 5D so access the R3D raw won't really be an issue.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 27, 2018 at 8:50:27 pm

Those were imported versus AMA linked which is why it was 01:00:00:00 versus 00:00:00:00. In Resolve you can select those clips and have it use a different timecode that you enter, in this case 00:00:00:00. Or conversely, in Media Composer, duplicate the START column for all clips and copy to AuxTC1 (or 2, 3, etc.), change the DSLR ones that are wrong to 00:00:00:00 and export an EDL versus an AAF. If sequence has effects you want to preserve and conform then EDL will not be the best solution.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]