FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX to AVID MC latest workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hugh hartford
FCPX to AVID MC latest workflow
on Jun 21, 2018 at 10:52:31 am

Hi All, I'm posting a new thread as I can only find older solutions from 2015 that use Resolve roundtrip using AAF export.

I have a very large FCPX edit of a feature doc and need to move to AVID (our new editor insists on using avid).

Here's the deets:
The raw rushes is a huge mix of codecs. We were editing raw in FCPX. But also have a mirror of all rushes as Quicktime ProRes HQ on a separate drive.

I need to bring in current timelines (or 'events') from FCPX to Avid. I'm aware this may need to be done individually and that the bin structure in avid will need to be re-built manually BUT there are lots of 'events' and I'd like to find the quickest way of doing this.

After the final AVID offline the grade will be done in Resolve from the raw rushes so we need to manage the FCPX transfer so we can relink at the end of offline back to the raw rushes.

Any advice, pointers, apps to buy, links to articles would be massively appreciated.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX to AVID MC latest workflow
on Jun 21, 2018 at 11:51:32 am

I would be curious as well. My gut feeling is that starting over will take less time than getting the material converted.

Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

hugh hartford
on Jun 21, 2018 at 12:00:16 pm

Thanks Oliver. Its a 90 min edit. We can flatten the video to 1 or 2 tracks but it will be tough to get the audio under 8 tracks. Re-building from scratch would take maybe a week.

But thats just the current cut - we'd want to bring across to avid at least 20 assembly timelines too making rebuild from scratch a pretty epic task! I'm going to do more research and some tests once I have the whole project transcoded to QT prores. Any thoughts very welcome.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 21, 2018 at 12:16:21 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jun 21, 2018 at 2:23:06 pm

Most of the translation methods involve moving sequences. The hard part is bringing over bins with all of the relevant info. I’ve also found that the various translations bring in unwanted settings that tend to make a “less than clean” project. For example, track and pan assignments for audio. So in the long run, taking the week might be well spent.

One approach might be to get the Automatic Duck tool (via FX Factory) to get you to After Effects (https://fxfactory.com/info/ximportae/). Then use AE’s tools to get to Avid. That would be an alternative to Resolve.

Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 21, 2018 at 2:53:01 pm

I had some time this morning and ran a quick test, just for grins. I was able to get a complex project into MC by round-tripping through Premiere Pro. However, relinking clips in the sequences didn't work. If you keep your sequences to cuts-only stringouts, then you might be able to get to MC and then overcut the timeline clips with AMA sources, just going by TC.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 21, 2018 at 5:38:13 pm

This is why you look for editors who know how to use the editing app you are using. Sorry, but IMHO you need to find another editor, one who knows FCX. Hiring an editor who only cuts in Avid wasn't wise. You'll be spending most of your time creating and organizing the footage in Avid (you can't convert projects and bin structures, only sequences)...and then trying to muscle the sequence from FCX into Avid. But even then, getting that sequence to reference the existing media...spotty at best (Oliver said he couldn't do it)...so what you'd end up doing is creating NEW media for this...and nothing will "match back" to the other media...so locating bins where the media in the cut is located is impossible.

And then anything like compound clips, secondaries, any effects...NONE of that will transfer...and all of those will make converting the sequence harder.

No, best to find an editor who cuts in FCX and hire them. If I was approached with this job, I'd have to turn it down as I don't know FCX. I was tasked with addressing notes once, and for two days I stumbled over my two left feet.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 21, 2018 at 6:25:14 pm

[Shane Ross] "This is why you look for editors who know how to use the editing app you are using. Sorry, but IMHO you need to find another editor, one who knows FCX."

This is why I keep up to date with Avid, FCPX and PPro.
I make most of my money being able to go from app to app with abandoned projects.
Its not rare (for me) to deal with an indie cut by the director/creator who starts it on PPro then have to give up the project to someone who only wants to cut in Avid (vice versa mix em all up).
I have had luck going from FCPX to Resolve then Avid.
Just simple rough drafts with no CC, effects, scaling, and Secondary Storylines.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]