FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA linking not available? - IMPORT QUESTIONS

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt chapman
AMA linking not available? - IMPORT QUESTIONS
on Jun 13, 2018 at 10:21:04 pm

Hey guys-

Making the jump from Premiere to Avid. Have a bunch of footage for messing around with. A few questions, I've reviewed the (ANCIENT... 2013) "Getting started fast with Avid Media Composer" from YouTube.

Mr. Mcauliffe makes mention of AMA linking. I am trying to do that, as the default settings that I can locate only allow me to import things as an MXF (and defaults to 4444). Its taking 15MB files and turning them into 1 GB files!

So 2 questions... where is AMA linking? The video online says that I right click inside a bin, but that's gone. Second question, how do I make the default IMPORT video settings more reasonable, for instance ProRes 444 but a lower bit rate.

Thanks
Chaz

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AMA linking not available? - IMPORT QUESTIONS
on Jun 13, 2018 at 11:14:33 pm

In the MC 2018 versions...and later MC 8.x versions....it's now called SOURCE BROWSER. So FILE>INPUT>Source Browser. Then navigate to your media. This will LINK to it. Then you can transcode for a smoother editing experience to DNxHR or DNxHD. What codecs are available are based on the project settings. You choose.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on Jun 13, 2018 at 11:53:35 pm

Thanks for the start of the info, Shane!

How do you mean that the codecs available are based on my project settings? I have many codecs installed on this machine from years of editing in Premiere, including DNxHD, ProRes, Blackmagic, etc.

When I start a project the only place that I am offered presets is in the vague "manage presets" button below the main Format section. (see below)

It doesn't make sense to me to convert a bunch of downloaded YouTube videos (which are only around 300MB on average) and then convert them to 1 GB files each. There isn't any resolution gained....

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 14, 2018 at 12:08:42 am

"How do you mean that the codecs available are based on my project settings?"

Meaning if you use an HD project setting, say 1080p or 720p...the codecs are like DNxHD, ProRes, 1:1 Uncompressed. If you use an above HD format, like 2K and 4K, you get DNxHR (and some ProRes as well). If your color space wasn't Rec709, but RGB, then you'd have a very small, but very high end list of codecs available. You are in 2K, so you have DNxHR and ProRes and some uncompressed options.

As for converting/transcoding the footage...unlike Premiere Pro, that leverages many resources to enable smooth playback of highly compressed footage like H.264, Avid doesn't do that. Sure, you can play it back, but your system might bog-down eventually, become slow to respond. Converting to a DNxHD format that's doesn't need to be decoded on the fly (like H.264 does) will mean an easier editing experience. Yes, the trade off is larger file sizes.

Now, why are you using a 2K project setting if you are cutting with YouTube as your source? is your deliverable 2K?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on Jun 14, 2018 at 12:34:07 am

I see, but the only options I get are a the three listed in my first picture. Each estimates a file size, and in the smallest example AVID is taking a 167 MB file and creating a 2.81 GB file. And that's the smallest that I can transcode to.

Honestly, that seems like a pretty big waste of resources as well... I have a 1TB Thunderbolt SSD that I use for media, and it will run out of space midway through a 1 hour project...

Do I have to transcode to MXF, and if so is there a better compression ratio? Why expand something when no resolution is gained? 😶

Now, why are you using a 2K project setting if you are cutting with YouTube as your source? is your deliverable 2K?

Sorry, 😊 I took that screen shot while just sort of searching to see how things change if I were to make a new project, as you said that the transcode size was dependant on the project, I was checking to see if there were variables based on a preset that I could quickly check.

Also, what about different frame sizes? I know that we can only use the same frame rate in a project that the project is set to (so all video has to be transcoded to this)... but I have some cell phone footage that is (for instance) shot in a portrait mode. I'd like to be able to zoom out of it and crop as I see fit, but it seems like AVID has already cropped it... I try using Frame Flex, but it seems neither relevant to the frame nor very flexible... 😝😫

Maybe the best thing for me to do is convert everything in Adobe Media Encoder and then edit in AVID just linked footage?

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on Jun 14, 2018 at 12:46:22 am

I appreciate you all bearing with me, I see this is going to be a long night. My AVID friend insisted it is an easy jump, but I'm unconvinced....

For instance below is an example of easily importing footage into Premiere, which is cell phone footage at 1080 x 1920 (I know, please shoot landscape, but what can i do...). If I scale it down, then i get the whole picture, and can put some version of it on the sides to cover the black.

When I try to do the same using Frame Flex (which is before I've transcoded), I am into the following menu, which I have tried multiple settings at, and none of which seem to be able to give me a frame that is 90degrees rotated, and scaled to include less than the image.

Is that just how it goes in AVID? You have to convert all the footage first?

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on Jun 14, 2018 at 12:49:29 am

Whoops this is the pic of the AVID frame flex...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 14, 2018 at 12:56:49 am

Avid PREFERS it be transcoded, yes. Might I ask why you are using Avid for this if you have Premiere Pro and know how to use Premiere pro?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 14, 2018 at 12:54:46 am

OK, I made a test project and I have a LOT more options than that. I have HDxHR LB, DNxHR SQ, DNxHR HQ, DNxHR HQX, and four ProRes flavors...in fact, ProRes 4444 isn't even offered. None of the options in your list are. And I set it up the same way...so that is odd. There must be a setting somewhere causing that.

You Transcode to MXF in order to make editing go smoother. H.264 native editing might be OK for smaller projects, but even then, that format needs to be decoded on the fly, and that causes the system to slow down. You can try that, but if you get frustrated with responsiveness, then transcoding is your best option.

Cell Phone footage...well, create a project matching those dimensions...9:16....1080x1920 or whatever...link to the footage in that project and transcode. Or, simply link to the footage in this project and don't transcode. Frame Flex will allow some resizing. Note that anything more that 25% will degrade the image.

Why convert with Media Encoder? What would you convert to? You'd have to convert to ProRes or DNxHD in order to avoid the sluggishness, but that will be the same file sizes as compared to doing it inside Avid....not going to gain anything using that.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on Jun 14, 2018 at 2:01:36 am

I really appreciate your attention Shane. To answer your first and most obvious question:

"Why am I doing this in AVID if I have Premiere"

I have a new gig starting in a month that is on AVID. Its for a network, and I know AVID does work better for networked footage. Also, AVID editing generally pays better than Premiere editing.

What I am doing now is a freelance project and I am forcing myself to use only AVID, though I do a little "Apples to Apples" comparisons by opening up Premiere. The project has a LOT of mixed media frame rates and footage, so I used Adobe Encoder to recode everything at 23.976, keeping the original size and aspect ratio.

I don't get ANY of the options that you get, and I have a lot of codecs installed on this machine from years of Premiere.

Any advice in that regard would be great, it would be nice to save space and time.

Chap

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:54:52 am

Sounds to me like you have selected RGB 709 as your color space in the project format tab.
In RGB you can only work in 1:1 or 4:4:4:4

Change it to YCBCR 709 and you get codec choices.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on Jun 14, 2018 at 1:57:49 pm

You GOT IT!!! Thank you!

Now, does anyone know how to easily handle cell phone (1080 x 1920) footage. When I transcoded it to MXF through AVID, it all stretched.

And the Frame Flex solution, when I simply "link" to the footage, seems like the Sphynx's riddle to me. I've tried swapping the image size to 1080 x 1920, I've tried letterbox and pillarbox options, etc. I can't seem to make the SCALE of the footage smaller than the frame size.

I've converted the footage to match the frame rate, but it still plays at a wonky size or won't let me adapt it.

Thanks!
Chap

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 14, 2018 at 8:23:22 pm

[matt chapman] "Now, does anyone know how to easily handle cell phone (1080 x 1920) footage. When I transcoded it to MXF through AVID, it all stretched. "

Make a project with the dimensions of the phone video. AMA link and then transcode in that project. Then bring the bin into the other project. Dimensions should be maintained.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]