FORUMS: list search recent posts

connecting AVID and PREMIERE PRO. Editing at the same time

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ida Hugge
connecting AVID and PREMIERE PRO. Editing at the same time
on Jun 5, 2018 at 12:12:28 pm

Hi,

We are two editors for the same project --> One using AVID MC and one using PREMIERE PRO.

We can't get the programs to talk. How do we do that?

The computer that has Premiere on it runs 4K, but the computer with AVID has a lower resolution.

We have the master files in AVID.
We need to be able to edit at the same time and without overlapping the projects on either computer.

All the files has to be edited in ADOBE by the end. I mean with after effects and so on. So all the AVID files has to be compatible with PREMIERE and the other way around. We do post p. in ADOBE.

PLEASE HELP

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: connecting AVID and PREMIERE PRO. Editing at the same time
on Jun 5, 2018 at 4:26:46 pm

[Ida Hugge] "We are two editors for the same project --> One using AVID MC and one using PREMIERE PRO. "

Bad idea. If you are two editors on the same project, you both need to be using the same editing application.

[Ida Hugge] "We can't get the programs to talk. How do we do that? "

You can't. Stick to one editing application.

[Ida Hugge] "The computer that has Premiere on it runs 4K, but the computer with AVID has a lower resolution. "

Why? Avid edits 4K. Well, depends on the version...if you are using a VERY old version, you can't. But the current versions do.

[Ida Hugge] "We have the master files in AVID.
We need to be able to edit at the same time and without overlapping the projects on either computer. "

Don't do what you are doing. Choose one editing application and both use that. And if you want to both access the same project (only Avid can do this)...then you need other hardware to enable this (ISIS or NEXIS shared storage that allows for bin locking). Premiere cannot share project files at this time.

[Ida Hugge] "All the files has to be edited in ADOBE by the end. "

OK...then stop using Avid and both use Adobe Premiere Pro. You might have to have separate project files, but you can import sequences from another project into yours...so there's that.

[Ida Hugge] " I mean with after effects and so on. So all the AVID files has to be compatible with PREMIERE and the other way around. We do post p. in ADOBE. "

Then stop using Avid and both use Adobe. Sorry I keep saying that, but it cannot be stressed enough. Two editors, one project...use the same editing application. Any thing else is asking for trouble and a LOT of headache.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 5, 2018 at 6:24:24 pm

you can't even make up posts like this. It just has to come to you.
"But we can't afford another Adobe License, and the AVID editor is old, and just wants to use their old system".
But then again - it sounds like half my clients ! ("isn't there a way for you to figure out how to get
Media Composer First to work with shared storage ? ")

Bob Zelin

ps - I know the answer - USE RESOLVE to edit - it's free for everyone (but my computer is too old to run resolve - do you have something that will work with MacOS 10.7 ?).

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 9, 2018 at 5:00:03 pm

This is one of the strangest questions I think I've seen posted on the forums over the years.

Why would you assume Avid and Premiere should be able to cut the same show at the same time, and talk to each other in some sort of kumbaya editing process? For many setups its hard enough to get two of the same programs to work together.

Heck, If we add a third editor on FCPx, then I can probably use my mac mini as well?
Bob, can you help them integrate that into the process?

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]