FORUMS: list search recent posts

Autosync to masters instead of subclips?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Farmer
Autosync to masters instead of subclips?
on May 17, 2018 at 3:46:22 am

Hi all. Assisting in Avid for an editor that has requested subclips of synced picture/audio with the production audio to be reduced to 2 tracks (down from 6 total tracks). That subclip has to be able to match frame back to the masterclip (with all original 6 audio tracks synced to the masterclip). DIT has already made my MXF masterclips, outside of Avid, without any audio synced in. Autosync in Avid only creates subclips, it doesn't update the master clips. Do I have to autosync in avid, transcode those subclips to new masterclips, then bring those in and subclip from there? Or sound sync in an entirely different program and then re-transcode to MXF? Is there something I'm missing here?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Autosync to masters instead of subclips?
on May 17, 2018 at 1:10:04 pm

Why the need for master clips? The behavior you seek for matchback to audio only ISO tracks works from subclips (.sync). This is the way it has always behaved.

Michael

Return to posts index

Chris Farmer
on May 17, 2018 at 3:05:59 pm

I agree - when I test matchframe the sub clip I've created with only 2 audio tracks, it matches back to the masterclip audio that has all 6 tracks. But specific instructions were that it has to matchframe back to the masterclip with all ISO tracks synced to picture.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 17, 2018 at 4:17:17 pm

In order to do that, you will have to hop through a lot more steps within Media Composer or create dailies with all BWF ISO tracks in a third party dailies app. In the latter, you bring in the master clips with all the ISO's then use an ALE merge to create subclips of just the MIX track. Now when you match back you go to the master clip.

To create that in Media Composer, you need to export your .sync clips and reimport them back in ensuring that that source clip Tape or Source File (workflow will differ a little depending on which one), bring the files back in, merge the subclips exported ALE with all your important metadata back into those master clips. This assumes a AMA link/Source File workflow. If "Tape" is required, then you need to import ALE first, then batch imports the exported clips.

Michael

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on May 18, 2018 at 8:35:10 am

I would absolutely love it if this were possible, but I'm quite sure it can't be done _inside_ MC.

Return to posts index

Denise Chan
on Sep 26, 2018 at 1:17:16 am

If I were to make another sub clip (generation 2) from a sub clip (generation 1). Is there a way to match back from "generation 2" sub clip to "generation 1" sub clip in media composer?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]