FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 to MC5.52

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael O'Reilly
FCP7 to MC5.52
on May 15, 2018 at 4:07:42 pm

I know! Ancient tech!

I am leaving a job and have projects on FCP7 on mac that I would like to make accessible to the editor on Media Composer 5.52 on PC.

1. I've got the drive thing figgered out - just sharing the media via a networked drive that we both can see and move to and form (ExFAT is not as simple as everyone makes it seem).
2. I've got Auto Duck pro export BUT this only does sequences and I have not edited anything yet - also this transcodes but is UNGODLY slow and prone to bugs/crashes
3. I've got Resolve 14 which I have had good luck in transcoding FCP7 media that can be read by MC5.52

Nothing is edited, but everything is transcoded from multiple sources, logged and organized with notes in markers

Is there a way to use everything I list above to create a useable MC file/media? Like put all sources in sequences, export via Duck, but then transcode via resolve?

This might be too much to figger out in the limited time I have left, but I thought someone might've gone through this!

Thank you - Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 to MC5.52
on May 15, 2018 at 5:12:27 pm

[Michael O'Reilly] "Is there a way to use everything I list above to create a useable MC file/media? Like put all sources in sequences, export via Duck, but then transcode via resolve?"

Yeah, but you won't get ANY of the markers or notes. Only clip names, timecodes, and reel. So this really won't help. You can't convert projects from FCP 7 to Avid...only sequences, and yah, none of that media will have any of the logging information on them...as that logging info is in the project, not on the media file.

SOrry to say this, but best to start over, and import all the camera masters into Avid. I wouldn't want to deal with footage imported into FCP and then brought into Avid...that's double conversion, and might not have all I need to relink to the masters in Avid.

FCP 7...MC 5.5.2. You are sporting REALLY OLD versions of editing software.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael O'Reilly
on May 15, 2018 at 5:30:53 pm

Ha ha - yes, and if I told you who I work for you'd be surprised that we go so long between upgrades.

The transcoding using Resolve route actually works quite well - since they were already organimized and the camera originals no longer exist this is the way I gotta go.

thanks for the response!

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 15, 2018 at 5:42:10 pm

As long as what you are transcoding will be the finals, great. But are the comments and other logging information coming over?

And I wouldn't be surprised. If you worked at say, PILGRIM PRODUCTIONS, you might still be on 4.0 or 5.0. And Original Productions also is on OLDER systems. Because A) They have A LOT of systems so upgrading costs money, and B) the editors there often don't want to update because they really like the way things are. I also know that Original still shoots HDV...on a few shows at least (Deadliest Catch).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael O'Reilly
on May 15, 2018 at 8:35:07 pm

thanks for your response!

We did a test and if you have logged markers in the clip itself and put them in a sequence, when AutoDuck is used to export the sequence, the markers and the info are carried over the MC project file. (not sure if markers are placed in the sequence itself whether they carry over)

I still need to test this out, but I could conceivably make each bin into a sequence and export them via autoduck. Even if the editor can't re-link the MXF files I create via resolve transcoding, he will still have that as a reference and can just import the files fresh.

Very clunky, but both are pretty fast! I feel like I just decoded some ancient text - great for me, but pretty much useless to anyone else!

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]