FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you transcode all the media in full in a timeline, not a portion plus handles?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
How do you transcode all the media in full in a timeline, not a portion plus handles?
on May 1, 2018 at 1:03:23 am

I can't seem to figure this out, though I was sure I had in fact done it before. I have tried both transcoding a sequence and, using show reference clips, the master clips used in the sequence and in both instances I'm always presented with the option of choosing handle length. What I want though, is not to choose a handle length but to in fact transcode the entire source clip, for every clip in the sequence.

Can this be done?

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: How do you transcode all the media in full in a timeline, not a portion plus handles?
on May 1, 2018 at 4:08:33 am

I haven’t done this from a timeline but generally when you want to transcode the entire clip(s) just set the handles to 0. It’s been a while because I do all my Transcoding in Resolve but I seem to recall that’s the way to do it.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
Re: How do you transcode all the media in full in a timeline, not a portion plus handles?
on May 1, 2018 at 5:06:28 am

I read that somewhere years ago as well and did that as standard practice ever since all the while believing that I was indeed consolidating the full media set (or transcoding), but either that was the case and they changed it, or I was just wrong because as it turns out 0 handles is actually exactly what it says it is. Zero handles is the portion of the media used in the timeline, and no additional handles either side. Frustrating.

The reason I have to do it from the bin menu in Avid and not use a third party application is because I'm trying to do an OMF export. OMF seems to have gotten old hat because it's difficult to do those these days. The option is hidden unless you set the project to SD and then when you do it throws up all manner of hurdles. It's extremely picky about what format of sound it likes and after trying to get only the camera rushes sound and sync sound and cleaning the timeline of all other SFX, narration, even consumer cameras sound like GoPro, everything except the bare essentials it STILL didn't work. I discovered though that it would if you told it to transcode in the OMF export options it would work, it would transcode the media in the timeline to OMF wav which apparently Avid seemed to like because it made an OMF. Problem is, I only saw an option to do this with handles, and I wanted to do all the media. So I thought I'd try transcoding it first before the OMF export and then export an OMF from my now entirely transcoded timeline, and that's when I discovered how difficult that appears to be.

In the time since writing I did actually figure it out though, sorta. First, I discovered that there actually was a transcode all media option after all within the OMF export menu, I just missed it, but then Avid crashed trying, so instead I did an AAF export and transcoded all media and then attempted to make a 'link to' export of the '.exported' timeline but it crashed AGAIN. So as far as my mission of trying to do an all media OMF export is concerned, I've failed, but along the way I discovered that the initial question I asked is sorta solvable. Actually another thing occurs to me though. maybe 0 handles means all the media, if you're not selecting a timeline only reference clips, and if there are no in and out points set. Will have to try some time.

In summary: you can transcode/consolidate all media via AAF export settings and if you don't need it you can just discard the resulting .aaf file.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 9, 2018 at 12:35:55 pm

If you do the show reference clip and are selecting all the master clips, just ignore the handles as it's most likely just a GUI thing that will have no effect on your results.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]