FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding Volume Keyframe on Multiple Clips

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chih Steeple
Adding Volume Keyframe on Multiple Clips
on Apr 22, 2018 at 9:05:19 pm

Dear all,

I tried to find the answer online but did not have any luck. Is there a way to add volume keyframe on multiple clips in timeline? I know how to adjust all the keyframes at one time but have been adding keyframe one by one to each clip. Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,

Chih

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Adding Volume Keyframe on Multiple Clips
on Apr 23, 2018 at 8:54:11 am

With the Audio Mixer in Auto mode, gang channel faders, move one fader.

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
on Apr 23, 2018 at 9:10:14 am

If you have all the tracks selected, hitting the key frame button will mark all the tracks in the same place.
If you have an 'In' and an 'out' around a number marks, then moving one of the marks up or down will move all the marks.

Return to posts index

Chih Steeple
on Apr 23, 2018 at 4:28:36 pm

Thank you both for the tips. I guess I did not explain the question correctly. I meant to say if there is a way to add keyframe to multiple clips on the same track not different tracks. I chopped the interview already but now would like to adjust the volume using keyframe. Many thanks again.

Chih

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 23, 2018 at 6:14:30 pm

Keyframes on the SAME track? Yes...add keyframes to all the clips you want to lower...then mark IN and OUT to the section you want to adjust, grab one keyframe, ALL will highlight, and then raise or lower. Job mentioned this in his response.

You can also LASSO those keyframes and adjust. Just make sure not to lasso the full clips, but just the keyframes, otherwise you'll go into TRIM mode on the cut points.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chih Steeple
on Apr 23, 2018 at 9:39:29 pm

Hi Shane,

Thank you for the response. But I meant to ask to add keyframes to all the clips not to adjust them. Say I have 30 clips from the same interview. Now I need to add keyframes one by one to all 30 before I can adjust the volume at one time. I was wondering if there is a way to add keyframes to all 30 clips at one time?

Very best,

Chih

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Apr 23, 2018 at 11:08:19 pm

Don't do this with keyframes. Mark in-out around the clips you need to increase/decrease, set your Audio Mixer to Clip mode, set the level for the current clip, then choose 'Set Clip Level In-Out' from the Audio Mixer's hamburger menu. You can still add keyframes or use automation gain on top of these clip levels.

Return to posts index

Chih Steeple
on Apr 24, 2018 at 2:00:33 am

Hi Job ter Burg,

Your method is definitely the right way to go. However, the interview volume is so low that after I increased the gain to +12db, I still could barely hear the sound. That was why I thought I would use the keyframes to bump it up even more. But thank you very much for sharing.

Warmly,

Chih

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Apr 25, 2018 at 9:31:24 pm

Not addressing your original question (which was answered quite well by the way), but rather what you just mentioned about +12 not being enough gain, here's a simple solution.

On a project a couple of years ago we were using an out of town shooter for interviews who may know something about visuals but NOTHING about sound. Everything he provided was over 36db too low.

The solution is to get the first track that comes synched with the video where you want it to be in terms of timing. Then copy, paste and ALIGN copies of just the audio track on additional blank tracks added below. Then -36db can be brought to a decent level just by sending two, three or even four channels of the same audio to the same place in the mix. i.e..- center for an interview.

The only negative here is that you are also raising the noise floor of the recording. Fortunately with modern equipment the noise floor is typically so low that it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Apr 25, 2018 at 10:09:13 pm

How about adding either the Gain plugin or a compressor from the Channel Strip plugin?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]