FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you snap/constrain horizontal segment respecting both the head AND the tail of a segment being moved?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
Can you snap/constrain horizontal segment respecting both the head AND the tail of a segment being moved?
on Apr 2, 2018 at 5:21:33 am

You can move clips around using mouse movement in Avid, like in other NLEs by using the segment mode smart tool. You can also constrain the movement using the modifier key 'ctrl' for windows or 'cmd' on a mac.

This is especially helpful if you want to butt up segments flush without gaps and without accidental overwriting, because you can move a segment backwards towards a segment that's adjacent to it, and the head of the segment being manipulated will snap to that adjacent segment's tail and you can then release the mouse button and the edit will be performed precisely.

My problem is that I frequently want to perform the same operation, except that I'm trying to butt-up the selected segment to one adjacent to it and further ahead in the timeline. In that instance, I want the tail of the selected segment to butt up against the head of the incoming clip, but there appears to be no way to do this. Is there a setting I can change that will make that work? I only want it to happen on command, as opposed to all the time, just as it currently does for snapping the head of the selected segment to the tail of the outgoing clip by pressing the ctrl modifier when needed.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Can you snap/constrain horizontal segment respecting both the head AND the tail of a segment being moved?
on Apr 2, 2018 at 6:56:25 am

As far as I know, snapping only works on the head of the clip you are moving, not the tail.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
Re: Can you snap/constrain horizontal segment respecting both the head AND the tail of a segment being moved?
on Apr 2, 2018 at 10:52:21 am

Ctrl + alt (cmd + opt) while move clip snap at tail

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
on Apr 3, 2018 at 12:56:41 am

GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
on Apr 3, 2018 at 9:24:32 am

No, I' m not a genius, I'm only a Avid editor from 25 years. 😉
Glad to help you...

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]