FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alternatives to pricey Sorenson Squeeze software?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Baker
Alternatives to pricey Sorenson Squeeze software?
on Feb 16, 2018 at 8:10:56 pm
Last Edited By Stuart Baker on Feb 16, 2018 at 8:25:38 pm

This is follow up from an earlier thread. Important: If you purchase a new Mac to run Avid Media Composer, and it comes loaded with Sierra or High Sierra, you will not be able to transcode your media with the Sorenson Squeeze Light v10 software that comes bundled with the package. You cannot roll back to an earlier version of Mac OS that supports it (El Capitan being the last), and you will have to buy Sorenson 11 if you want to apply a Sorenson batch transcode engine to your work.

I looked at pricing for Sorenson - $199 for Desktop Light 11, $549 for Desktop 11, and $749 for Desktop Pro 11.

Yiao!

Curious to know what other types of software folks might be using to transcode media out of Avid projects. Does anyone have an effective, less expensive solution for batch transcodes to H.264 out of Avid?

Thanks,

SB

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Alternatives to pricey Sorenson Squeeze software?
on Feb 16, 2018 at 8:32:31 pm

No Avid batches, but Adobe Media Encoder (CC subscription) or Apple Compressor. MPEG Streamclip might also be an option.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Stuart Baker
on Feb 16, 2018 at 9:27:16 pm

Thanks Oliver.

Update- I checked with Apple Support, and they say I should be able to roll back High Sierra to El Capitan on the iMac I purchased. I'm hoping this is the case, and I was simply misinformed of my options by another party. If I can do the rollback, I can run Sorenson Squeeze 10. All will be well.

SB

Return to posts index

Stuart Baker
on Feb 16, 2018 at 10:49:12 pm

All not well after all: Apple at first told me I could, then informed me that I cannot roll back to El Capitan. Major bummer.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 17, 2018 at 2:21:24 am

mpeg streamclip is free, can save presets, and has a batch option.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Feb 17, 2018 at 8:43:16 am

Honestly if you need to encode files you get what you pay for and Squeeze is a great encoder.
If the quality of you encoded files is important then the investment is worth it.
I'd go squeeze everyone.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 18, 2018 at 3:51:54 am

If you want to try free, Handbrake might be a solution. It has a batch mode (not elegant but works) and supports MXF OP1a DNxHD as a source which is my preferred way to prepare for third-party encoders as per my blog (second half).

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=278

Michael

Return to posts index

Stuart Baker
on Feb 20, 2018 at 7:09:32 pm

I wonder if Squeeze software is better than the technical and sales support teams that I have been trying to engage? I can't even access a Trial version to test the software. You fill out the form, and are informed that you will get an email with download information. No email forthcoming... (yes, I checked spam boxes and also requested for two different email addresses under two different domains.)

Called support, and you get thrown into a voice message box... only to be told that the voice message box is full. Tried this Friday, tried it again today.

Stymied.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]