FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Spears
Transcoding
on Feb 16, 2018 at 12:43:21 am

I am starting a new project with a Sony HD camera (capable of 4K).

I am using avid MC 8.8.5 and I have successfully linked to the video. Folks here have suggested that I TRANSCODE ALL THE footage. Fine with me. But I am wondering what codec to use? Avid gives me these choices: DNXHD 45;
DNXHD 100; DNXHD 145; DNXHD 220; DNXHD220 X; 1:1 MXF; 1:1 p 100 MXF. I have no idea, but my previous project was DNXHD 145.

I am open to suggestions and new information too

Many thanks, Ross Spears

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Transcoding
on Feb 16, 2018 at 1:02:57 am

You said CAPABLE of 4K. Did you shoot 4K? If so, why are you in an HD project setting? If you want this 4K (UHD) footage to remain UHD...then you should be in a UHD project setting. This way you get access to the higher than HD codecs, like DNxHR, DNxHQ....etc.

Now...what to transcode to. Do you want to work Full resolution? Offline resolution to save space and relink to later? What is your deliverable? Where will this end up?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 16, 2018 at 1:33:36 am

What is your finals delivery, 1080, UHD, 4K? You can be in a 1080 project and transcode to native source XY and fps if you want. That will give you ability to reframe with FrameFlex. If you shot 4K for 4K, then work in a 4K project, FrameFlex is meaningless at this point so just use resize or 3D Warp.

Are you planning on an offline, work at a finishing resolution??? All that defines how you might want to work.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ross Spears
on Feb 16, 2018 at 1:29:48 pm

Dear Shane, Thanks! To answer your question: I am NOT shooting 4K. But the camera is capable of it.

No, I have linked to the HD footage that I shot, which has no time code on it. Therefore, it really needs to be transcoded as soon as possible. I want to work with excellent looking footage. The film will be made for PBS distribution and also BluRays, etc. What do the different transcode possibilities mean? Which one should I use?

Thanks so much!!

Ross Spears

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 16, 2018 at 2:14:39 pm

If your goal is to not relink back for final conform to original sources and want to work at your finishing quality (for PBS, etc.) the transcode to DNxHD 175/220 (depending on frame rate). Do you have a PBS delivery spec?

Michael

Return to posts index

Ross Spears
on Feb 19, 2018 at 4:16:52 pm

Thanks, Michael,

I will not be relinking to original. I hope to make it into a HD show that is consistent with PBS needs. The footage is being shot at 29.970. What codec for transcoding? And can I transcode a bunch of clips at the same time?

It will NOT be 4K.

Thanks so much!!!

Ross Spears

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 19, 2018 at 6:28:36 pm

Here is the delivery specification for PBS. See Page 16 for video codec and wrapper:
http://bento.cdn.pbs.org/hostedbento-prod/filer_public/PBS_About/Producing/...

In short:

DNxHD 145 wrapped as MXF OP1a (AMA export) when done.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ross Spears
on Mar 3, 2018 at 2:30:29 pm

Thanks Michael! 145 sounds fine. Sorry for my delay in reply -- I have been sick. Here's my next question: How do I transcode all this material? It's been a long time since I did it, and at that time I was using MC 4.5. Thanks for your help!!

Ross Spears

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 3, 2018 at 2:47:52 pm

If you don't mind letting Media Composer do it you can choose to do it as either a foreground or background process. A background process will need a bit beefier of a system so it transcodes and you can still do other editing operations.

Make sure you have the most recent or appropriate version of the AMA plug-in for your system. That will most likely be the ones from Nablet of which are free except for the one supporting XAVC-S.
See: http://www.nablet.com/product-category/plugins/avid-media-composer/

Link to the folder level or clip depending on which camera/codec/folder structure being used. The bin will populate with the clips from the card/drive. Highlight all and select transcode. Select settings per your needs.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]