FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advanced Keyframing for Paint Effect?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Neil
Advanced Keyframing for Paint Effect?
on Feb 2, 2018 at 12:30:28 am

Hi everyone. I'm dealing with a scenario where I have to animate shapes inside the paint effect. The animation is fine, but I end up needing similar animations above clips of different sizes. So, if I save the animation into a bin, the animation speed changes depending on how long or short the clip I'm applying the filter to.

If this were a normal animation like a 3D Warp, I could go into the advance keyframes, right click and choose Fixed for the keyframes so that they don't change, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of keyframe options like that in the effects editor for the paint effect.

Anyone have any thoughts how I can apply this animation to many different clips without essentially re-doing the animation each time?

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Advanced Keyframing for Paint Effect?
on Feb 6, 2018 at 1:41:52 am

after effects

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 6, 2018 at 6:50:08 am

After Effects isn't an option. This needs to be done inside Avid.

Andy

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Feb 6, 2018 at 10:46:18 pm

Try a different approach; sounds like you're putting thePaint effect on the clips - perfectly normal. The Paint effect can also be applied to Filler on a track above the clip.
Do this for the longest duration you might want.
Get your animation right,
Save this to a Bin by Subclipping that track.
Then you can EDIT with that Subclip (use it as a Source and cut it into your Sequence) and its duration won't change, therefore your animation won't change.

This is the method I've used when I've been in your situation.

- - - - - - - - -
Neil Ryan
Senior Finishing Editor
WTFN

OS 10.11.4 Mac Pro
Media Composer 8.5.3 with Symphony & Interplay 3.4 AvidFX 6.4
Neat Video 4.1.4 ISIS5500

- - - - - - - - -

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 6, 2018 at 11:24:36 pm

Thanks Neil. That's actually what I'm currently doing. To give you a little more context. I'm creating box effects to showcase several clips in the frame at once. Using PIP with a border (promoted 3D) is clunky because you have to crop each image as it flies on and if you only want a white border on say one side of a clip, you have to zoom into the clip to obscure the other sides (because the border will always show up all around). Also, it makes shot replacement hell because you basically have to redo all the animation because the crop and position keyframes won't be the same on two different clips and with more than 2 clips, it becomes unwieldy.

My solution was to create black and white mattes using the paint tool for the boxes, and then on top of everything, use the paint tool to make little white bars to create the "borders". They can be animated once, and then applied to multiple sections of the edit and all I have to do is step in and replace the shots. It kinda looks like this (using simulated footage):

The problem with building and animating anything with the paint effect is that there doesn't seem to be a way to stop the keyframes from being "elastic". That is, when I subclip the effect to my bin and apply it elsewhere to other footage that is longer than the original effect, the keyframes are stretched out and the animation is slower. I'm trying to see if there's a way to default all animations to fixed keyframes like you can in the advanced keyframe area of the effect editor. Does that make sense?

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]