FORUMS: list search recent posts

System sounds muted while Avid is running

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guy Handelman
System sounds muted while Avid is running
on Jan 23, 2018 at 1:57:03 am

Whenever I'm running Avid Media Composer, it somehow takes over my system and mutes all other sounds. This is frustrating for a number of reasons, but particularly because I often like to audition sound effects or music tracks in iTunes before I import it into the Avid. It is also nice to hear the little noise when I get an email, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: System sounds muted while Avid is running
on Jan 23, 2018 at 8:49:07 am

If you have dedicated AV out for Avid, that output will never play out system sounds.
(Good thing, if you are into presentation modus, or playing back live, or dump to tape, you don't want your private home videos / whatever smug you have open in a browser leak into the sound output.)

(Personally, I close to NEVER want my system to make sound / display 'important stuff' like 'update to something you don't want / you have not backed up in 10 years / you have 248 new mails / startup drive is nearly full.
I KNOW this stuff, don't nag me.)

So, add hardware and add a mixer if you like, then you can choose.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 23, 2018 at 6:29:47 pm

That....shouldn't happen. When Avid is running I can play QT videos or videos from the web and hear them just fine. Oh, but I do have a dedicated video IO card...wonder if that matters.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 23, 2018 at 7:13:59 pm

What, you hear system sounds trough your dedicated IO while Avid is in the front and active?

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 24, 2018 at 1:10:47 am

No...I hear system sounds from the computer. Well, through the mixer, as I have the headphone jack out connected to it. So I still hear all the system sounds

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 24, 2018 at 7:21:14 pm

Mine works the same as Shanes. IO card to faders on a Yamaha mixer, system sound to faders on the Yamaha mixer, from the PC output jack. The two are independant.

If you are using Avid through the system sound, i would assume it would take over control and not relinquish it until you exit Avid, or turn off the hardware tool on the timeline. (if that works with system hardware). This is how it works on an I/O box. Once Avid takes control, if i play a quicktime out through Switch, i get no audio or video on my output card until I turn off Avid.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Guy Handelman
on Jan 25, 2018 at 11:39:47 pm

Thanks everyone who commented. The solution we found was to update the drivers and firmware on our AJA 4K, then enable Main App and Host Audio within the Audio Mixer settings of the AJA Control Panel application.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]