FORUMS: list search recent posts

Difference between sub-masters/clips and transcodes?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grace Danti
Difference between sub-masters/clips and transcodes?
on Jan 18, 2018 at 11:43:34 am

I'm only just starting to use AVID as I've been a Premiere editor up until now, and the answer is probably really simple and I'm just not being smart... But can someone please explain to me the difference between sub-masters and transcodes?

This is what I thought it is but I am confused:
Sub-masters are copies of the originals that are lower quality .mxf's (proxies), and the transcodes were the files AVID creates for those sub-masters. In order to use AVID you need both the sub-masters and transcodes to edit, not just the transcodes on their own.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Difference between sub-masters/clips and transcodes?
on Jan 18, 2018 at 6:20:06 pm

[Grace Danti] "Sub-masters are copies of the originals that are lower quality .mxf's (proxies)"

No, that terminology is not correct. A SUB-MASTER, in post terms, is either a reel of selects or other footage used to create the master. This goes back to tap days where you'd have a sub master of something like a studio shoot, or clips on a clip show, that you then cut into the master. But that doesn't pertain here.

Another version of Sub-Master is a sub-sequence that you break off from the master sequence. So lets say you have your main sequence you are editing in, and you mark IN and OUT, and then sub that out...that's a SUB-MASTER of that sequence. If you have one long master clip, and do the same thing, in and out points and make separate clips, those are SUB-CLIPS.

But that term is not applied to footage that shot. You have the Camera originals, or sometimes camera RAW, and then the low res proxies. Those aren't referred to as sub-masters as far as I know.

[Grace Danti] "and the transcodes were the files AVID creates for those sub-masters. "

Transcodes are media that any edit software creates when it converts the camera footage into an editable format. Typically done from the camera masters, and can be transcoded to high res finishing codecs, or offline cutting codecs.

[Grace Danti] "In order to use AVID you need both the sub-masters and transcodes to edit, not just the transcodes on their own."

That's...unclear. Avid does need to ACCESS the camera masters via AMA LINK or linking via the source browser...so you bring that in and have clips that link to the camera masters. And then you TRANSCODE that footage to full res, or to offline editing codecs. Typically you'd do this from the camera masters, and not the proxies. Some edit software allows you to work directly from th proxies. Avid CAN, but it depends on the codec. So what you do is LINK, transcode, and then edit with the transcodes. But keep the linked clips (separate bins), so you can relink to them later and either online with those...linked to the camera masters, or transcode to a higher Avid resolution. But you don't need both available at all times while you edit.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]