FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Correcting Red Footage

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Berg
Color Correcting Red Footage
on Jan 10, 2018 at 12:47:08 am

Okay. Hitting a little bit of a bump here and wanted to know what you guys would recommend doing.

I'm working on some Red Footage (4k, 4096x1728, 23.976) I've linked to my footage, transcoded to a lower resolution (1/4 resolution, DnxHD LB, 2048 x 864) I've cut my sequence and am not ready to color correct. I plan on doing this with AVID Symphony. I've relinked my sequence back to the original, RAW files. Those files appear linked in my bin along with a duplicate, relinked sequence in my bin as well. Here is my question...

Should I color correct on that relinked sequence with the AMA link Raw footage, or should I transcode that Raw footage into a higher Dnx Codec for better playback? I realize that by doing the second option I would have to manually replace all the clips in my relinked sequence with my new transcoded clips - which I want to avoid doing. So if there is an easier way, I would love to hear it!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Color Correcting Red Footage
on Jan 10, 2018 at 1:06:51 pm

If you transcode the linked sequence you won't have to replace every edit. It just does the sequence as linked with whatever handles you feel you need for potential changes at any one point.

As far as needing to transcode, it depends on how much you feel you might need to rely on changing any of the RAW parameters. Or what I have done is transcode with a film LOG type color space. I can't recall which ones at the moment. This gives you the full range of what was captured, then color correct from those log images.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]