FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID SubCaps not importing

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Harper
AVID SubCaps not importing
on Jan 5, 2018 at 9:44:01 am

Hi all,

The subject is pretty self explanatory. I'm trying to "import caption data" but when I do it, nothing happens. I tried it with both .stl and .txt files to no avail. I noticed that the timecode on the subtitles started at 10:00:00:00 (long story I won't bore you with as to why it wasn't me who made the subtitles) so I changed the timecode on the timeline to match it, still nothing happens. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I'm using 8.6.4 and the subtitles were created on Belle Nuit if that helps.

Alternatively, if anyone can recommend an easy way of combining a .mov file with any subtitle file to make a BluRay with hardcoded subs that would be great!

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: AVID SubCaps not importing
on Jan 5, 2018 at 1:04:31 pm

Hi Adam,
So, you have a sequence starting at 10 o'clock, with enough duration, and one single long subcap effect where you want to import? If so, after selecting a file, it should say something on what is going to happen. What does it say?
If you want me to have a look, mail me the .txt file.)

Then, I don't like subCap for delivery, Tons of problems with cropping the bottom of the text, random behaviour of the outline thickness and other ugly stuff.

What I do is render out a QT with Alpha from my own software and simply overlay that.
https://www.videotoolshed.com/product/subbits-subtitler/

From memory Matthias also made a render module that can render PNG's (But then you need a macro to overlay the png's on your timeline, or you're in for a lot of work if you have a fair amount of titles.)

If you do this more often, you might want to invest in something more robust, but if it's a one off, you can always outsource. (Will save you lots of time.)

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 5, 2018 at 1:22:11 pm

Also, make sure the blue bar (playhead) is at the beginning of the sequence when importing. There was a time that caused issues with an import.

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Jan 5, 2018 at 2:11:43 pm

Hi Bouke,

Thanks for the response, I have to apologise though I'm not sure I understand what you're alluding to?
After clicking on "Import Caption Data" and I select the file nothing comes up with regards to what will happen. I then press "Open" and nothing happens on the timeline. I also made sure the playhead is at the start of the sequence when importing (as Michael suggested) and this didn't help.
I would try the other options but I don't really have the time or money.
If you're willing to take a look at the file though that would be great! Do I message it you on here? I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

Adam

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 5, 2018 at 3:08:17 pm

I can take a look at it as well in addition to Bouke's nice offer. Send subcap file to michael[at]24p[dot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Jan 5, 2018 at 3:18:27 pm

Thanks Michael, just sent you a message.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 5, 2018 at 3:45:17 pm

Hi Adam,
try bouke(at)videotoolshed(dot)com

Bouke

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 5, 2018 at 4:44:15 pm

The first problem I see is that one of the entries has the following timecode:
10:01:33:50

And in a 25fps project, the frame of :50 will be a problem. I would make sure that Belle Nuit is set to proper frame rate for export.

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Jan 9, 2018 at 3:42:09 pm

So yes, as Michael pointed out, the issues revolved around the timecode being set to 50fps. Couldn't find a way to adjust the timecode in Belle Nuit so had to go through the arduous process of correcting everything in the .txt file manually. There was also the issue of some subtitles ending after the next one was scheduled to begin, which Avid also didn't like.

Not sure why this was the case or how it wasn't noticed before, especially considering the original .srt file is almost 4 years old. But it's all sorted now though. Thanks again everyone for the help!

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 9, 2018 at 4:57:53 pm

Dude,
You're making a serious mistake.
SRT has NO frames, but milliseconds after the whole seconds.

(I could have done the conversion for you (including down/uploading) in less than 30 seconds...)

Bouke

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Jan 10, 2018 at 2:05:50 pm

I'm not sure about that?
If it were milliseconds then at some point it would have gone above 50, which it never did. There were over 1000 subtitles so I highly doubt it was by luck that it never went above that. Avid also specifically wouldn't import anything that was above 25, so for example, 10:01:35:26 would have been rejected. It was only after I had adjusted those that did to be 25 or under that it accepted them.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 10, 2018 at 2:40:20 pm

Did you look at the .srt or the subcap (.txt) file?

Send me the .srt, and your desired fps, and i'll give you a working subcap file, or a bin with sequence.

Bouke

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Jan 12, 2018 at 11:18:58 am

It was originally an .srt file, but I imported it into Belle Nuit and then exported it as a .txt file. Was the same either way.
Thank you for the offer but I've now corrected everything and have what I need to make any further files.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
For the archives
on Jan 13, 2018 at 12:09:17 pm

For the arhives:
The correct name is Belle Nuit Subtitler.
Belle Nuit is Matthias' company name.
(So it sounds like talking about Adobe when you in fact mean Premiere.)

Besides this, good that you're up and running now.

Bouke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]