FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to screen with a client remotely??

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Pearson
Best way to screen with a client remotely??
on Dec 14, 2017 at 11:51:51 pm

I am editing a doc in Avid MC8... we have been screening cuts with our client, who is on the opposite coast, using a semi-hacked system of an app called ManyCam, a screen capture app, used as a source in Skype... (we cannot get Skype to recognize our Black Magic card as a source)... is there a better way? It turns out you need a fully tricked out 12-core Mac trash can to get smooth playback, of which we only have 1 at our facility. Any suggestions?

thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best way to screen with a client remotely??
on Dec 15, 2017 at 12:32:51 am

Get a WEB CAM and use another computer to power that, aim that at the monitor.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

George Bellias
on Dec 15, 2017 at 10:37:09 pm

I purchased a Slingbox years ago for my studio. It takes the HDMI out of my Avid without issue. Clients can login to my account via web or an easy desktop app. Works great.

George Bellias
Jade Productions
http://www.jadeproductionsla.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 15, 2017 at 11:31:03 pm

George -

What is your latency between you stopping and playing and your client seeing the stop and start at the other end?

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 16, 2017 at 5:45:05 pm

I've used slingbox with pretty good success. I have a ustream link on my website that i can point clients to. I'm in the process of setting up my own rtmp server and seeing how that works.

I've had anywhere from a 5 to 20 second delay.

At the end of it all, so much depends on the clients internet connection, as well as your own upload speed. If you have slow upload, and your client is on wireless, it could be less than optimal.

I always add a timecode burn to my timeline, and make sure the client knows they can't just say "there" They have to give me a timecode. You do also have to listen for your audio coming back over the phone or skype...what ever you are using for communication, and try to figure out the delay. That will let you know that when they say stop...you have to go back x number of seconds on your timeline to be looking at the same shot. The trick is to be able to do changes, and talk to the client, while filling the gap of those 5,10,15 seconds, as some clients get impatient and can't understand why what they are asking for isn't happening immediately. Even when you explain the delay. (we've all worked with clients right?)

Blackmagic does now sell a device that will trick skype into seeing your computer output as a webcam. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but that may be a good route to go as well.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 17, 2017 at 5:00:23 pm

Hi Joshua,
this is the correct answer to your question. I am actually surprised that everyone doesn't know this, as it's such an amazing product.
You already own a Blackmagic card. You say that you can't get Skype to recognize it. Well you can with this product !

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicwebpresenter
$470 at B&H, and I suggest buying the extra $85 from control panel/monitor. Work with up to 4K UHD images.

take the SDI or HDMI output of your Blackmagic card, and stick it into the Blackmagic Web Presenter. Stick the Web Presenter into the computer you are going to stream with. You do NOT need to load any software, or drivers for the Blackmagic Web Presenter - it will emulate a web cam, and turn your Media Composer output (with embedded audio) into a stream for YouTube Live, Facebook Live, Periscope (Twitter) or Skype (they do more as well). It ain't gonna get easier or cheaper than this. And if you can't figure out how to do it, go down to the local junior high school, where all the 13 years olds are putting themselves up on Facebook Live all day long. They can show you how to use it.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

George Bellias
on Dec 18, 2017 at 4:30:46 pm

Michael,

Sorry for the delay in my response (pun intended). The delay is about is typically about 5 seconds. It was a hassle at first using Slingbox with clients via a web browser because they needed to install a special plugin. The desktop app made it a lot easier to get them up and running. Plus, I didn't want to be responsible for any future client browser issues which I know would be blamed on installing anything new.

I hope all is well with you. Happy Holidays!

George Bellias
Jade Productions
http://www.jadeproductionsla.com

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Dec 18, 2017 at 9:46:07 pm

How about giving the free OBS Streaming Software a go.
It works with the BlackMagic Cards.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 22, 2017 at 8:10:34 pm

As with many of these streaming programs, they only get you half the way. You still need a reliable server to do the actual streaming. And most of us would much rather have a password protection of some sort for this as well, which a lot of the free ones don't offer.

AFAIK, OBS is just another encoding. You would still need to send it to Ustream or livestream, or youtube or facebook or Skype or some other place to host the stream. (That's why I'm looking into hosting my own right now)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 23, 2017 at 3:25:38 pm

and what's wrong with Skype ?

bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 23, 2017 at 4:26:19 pm

There's nothing wrong with Skype, it just depends on the client, and the ease of hook up.

Not everyone has a Skype account, and not every client wants to have to sign up for on. With some clients, its just easier to point them to your website, say click here, and have them see your screen. (There is a bit of a wow factor from many clients that way as well) Anything to differentiate you from the competition.

In the corporate world, there are plenty of places that don't allow extra software to be installed on the workstations, so Skype might not be an option.

I found sling box worked well, but the idea of having to get them to use my account never sat well with me.

I have looked at the black magic web presenter, and am quite interested in it, although I would have to try to remember my Skype credentials...haven't been on it in years.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]