FORUMS: list search recent posts

1 project - 2 editors - 1 on a Mac and 1 on a Windows PC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Bourke
1 project - 2 editors - 1 on a Mac and 1 on a Windows PC
on Dec 9, 2017 at 12:42:43 am

I am working on an international project where one of the editors is on a Mac in the US and the other on a Windows PC in the Middle East. I've done this before with both workstations Macs and as long as we were working off of media drives that are exact duplicates with the same name, we could just send the project back and forth and share our work.

Will this work now that I'm collaborating on a project where one of the workstations is a Windows PC? The project bagan on my Mac, will the PC be able to work seemlessly off of the same files/bins etc... on the exFAT drive I send them?

Also, to duplicate my Mac drive, I'm told I should format the Windows drive as exFAT. The problem is that my Mac drive name has more than the maximum 11 characters that the exFAT allows. How do I change the name of the Mac drive and still link to all bins/media etc... I tried shortening the name but my media went missing when I opened the project. I appreciate any help!

Ron Bourke Media Composer 8.8.1 My project has a mix of AMA linked and imported media.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: 1 project - 2 editors - 1 on a Mac and 1 on a Windows PC
on Dec 9, 2017 at 2:29:29 pm

I had to stick with duplicate data and not try to use a moving drive.
Could not get a 20 TB RAID to play nice due to my current workflow.
I made sure I can bring the project back and forth without any issues.
I found a few so I had to make some workarounds.
One was the folder options. I had a folder within a folder and it seemed to have duplicated a set of bins.
For example:
DAY 1 GROUP (folder)
- DAY 1 MXF (exported from Resolve in a bin)
- DAY 1 SYNC (subclips using AutoSync in a bin)
- DAY 1 AUTIO T (transcoded audio in a bin)
- DAY 1 ORIGINALS (folder)
-- DAY 1 RAW (R3D RAW in a bin)
-- DAY 1 AUDIO (audio LINKED in a bin)

When I copied the above into my Mac from Windows (MC 8.9.3 for both) the DAY 1 RAW bin was duplicated but sitting at the top root of the main DAY 1 GROUP folder. I checked them all and it was a complete duplicate.
I just deleted them but it was annoying me.
I was moving files via network. The HP Z840 has a 30TB RAID 0 and my Mac a 24TB PEGASUS.
If you lose links with the AMA stuff, just reimport into the same folder.
I tried the relink options and they were a complete waste of time.
Anything Avid blessed (Avid MediaFiles) works great when moving around but AMA is still a PITA.
I have a few posts all over the internet about my workflow issues and at the moment I have given up on answers from Avid.
I at least got 80% of the clips (2000 plus clips) to AutoSync but the rest are so bad and have tried everything to streamline my process.
Oh well I learned a lot from this Avid, Resolve and RED workflow.

Return to posts index

Ron Bourke
on Dec 9, 2017 at 7:47:03 pm

Thanks for sharing. I agree about duplicate data and it is essential in my case since the two editors are 6000 miles away. It has been suggested that I use MacDrive so that the editor on a Windows machine can read the Mac drive I send them.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 10, 2017 at 5:18:55 pm

If you are using transcoded media, the drive names shouldn't really matter. Avid is just looking for a database for the clips. If you are AMA linking, then the person on the second unit will have to relink everything anyway, as the Mac uses volumes, and the PC uses drive letters.
to keep it simple, you should try to use transcodes as much as possible.

I would also suggest the person on the PC side spend the 100 bucks and buy Macdrive Pro.
I don't trust exFat as far as I can throw it. I've had way too many exfat drives develop issues and need to be reformatted.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ron Bourke
on Dec 10, 2017 at 8:41:55 pm

Thanks Glenn. I have 4TB of files, 3 TB linked so I think the relinking will be the most practical. I am planning on using MacDrive on the PC. We'll see how it goes... - Ron

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 11, 2017 at 2:31:43 am

NO need to relink in Avid. If you both have the same media, as Avid media in the Avid file structure, then all you need to do is send bins of cuts back and forth, and the sequences will immediately relink to the media.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ron Bourke
on Dec 11, 2017 at 4:01:16 am

Thanks Shame!

Return to posts index

Ron Bourke
on Dec 11, 2017 at 4:26:16 am