FORUMS: list search recent posts

AutoSync WTF!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
AutoSync WTF!
on Nov 29, 2017 at 2:17:37 am

I couldn't come up with a proper title.
My lazy workflow has me dragging all the audio and video to one bin then do an AutoSync (Source TimeCode).
Its hit and miss and then I noticed a huge chunk wouldn't take.
I get this error which at the moment I can't seem to replicate.
What I found after that error, I should not have given up so easily.
The first time I noticed I would get a few done.
Prior I gave up and made note of it that it'll need manual sync.
Well, this time I went and did a few a time and it kept changing the amount done.
After a few tries, it actually did the whole lot.
Checked the clips and they were synced.

What the heck is going on here?

Is this normal a workflow?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: AutoSync WTF!
on Nov 29, 2017 at 4:39:44 pm

After doing this workflow for the past week, I am learning all the quirks in Avid using the Resolve AAF/MXF export option. The following issues only occur with RED HELIUM from Resolve 12.5 into Avid MC 8.9.3 PC and Mac.

- MXF exported Auto Sync files from Resolve do not import properly into Avid.
- Inconsistent MXF import via AAF. You would get about 10% of the files coming in as LINKED. Those files are corrupt and tend to screw up AutoSync within Avid.
- Using AutoSync in Avid, sub-clips that don't work (why does it bother?) come out shorter than original MXF.

I will add more to this later on.

I know the RED HELIUM has been around for a year, not sure why I'm not finding anyone else out there with same issues.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 4, 2017 at 5:38:40 am

I tried the perf audio sync workflow.
I am still getting the video length issue I have mentioned earlier.
Attached is a screenshot.
You can see the length of the original MXF.
The sync sub clip is again shorter in time length.
On another note, once I have the sync sub clip loaded in the Source and able to click on the slip perf buttons without the audio rate error whats next?
Michael had some awesome tips here https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/894844 but I'm stuck at "Put your timeline into source record view...".
Im on MC 8.9.3.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 4, 2017 at 1:35:00 pm

It's hard to tell what it happening without actual sample files, but Media Composer resulting sync clip will only be the duration of the common span of the shortest clip. But even then, I would expect the .sync clip to be the duration of the video unless the audio clip ends 10 seconds earlier.

In the bottom row of the timeline there is an icon that looks like 2 screens and a timeline. Click that and it turns green indicating you are looking at whatever is loaded into the source monitor.

8.9.3 has Source Serttings slip sync now which allows you to slip sync even when in non-Film projects, but I find the the whole process slower, and the slip info does not conform in Pro Tools.

Michael

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 4, 2017 at 3:10:13 pm

[Michael Phillips] "8.9.3 has Source Serttings slip sync now which allows you to slip sync even when in non-Film projects, but I find the the whole process slower, and the slip info does not conform in Pro Tools. "

Thanks, Michael I will look into that.
Sorry, I didn't send you any files, I ran into a deadline that I would have never met using RCX.
I did the MXF export from Resolve and got about 80% of the files synced in Avid using AutoSync.
The rest will have to be done by hand and your post is going to help finish the rest.
I will give it a try tonight.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 5, 2017 at 4:59:58 am

Thanks again Michael for the tips.

I do have some questions.
I can slip the audio using the Slip Left/Right 1 Perf buttons.
Moves ever so slightly.
However, I cant move it in larger increments and the smart tool doesn't work in that Source Edit mode.
I have some audio that is off by at least 20 seconds.

I also tried that Source Settings audio slip option and it doesn't make sense to me and even if it did you are right it's clunky.

I will keep trying to figure this out. I have a few hours downtime to make this work :)

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 22, 2017 at 7:00:35 pm

FYI

The feature I prepped for Assembly was a complete mess.
All thanks to Resolve and Avids awful AUTO SYNC option.
While some files synced perfect, a good 1500 plus files didn't.
Of course, during initial checks, I got suckered into thinking all was good.
But after going over all the files, things were so badly out of sync I don't know what Avid MC was doing :P
Went back to REDCINE Audio Sync and that seemed to have worked for what I've had to redo so far.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]