FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding metadata from ALEs later in the process

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alice Ingeli
Adding metadata from ALEs later in the process
on Nov 28, 2017 at 7:08:17 pm

Hello,

I don't really have an issue but there is something I'm trying to understand and would greatly appreciate an explanation.
I'm working as EA, was given DNX36 media created in Resolve, which I imported into the Avid, autosynced with sound, passed the subclips to editor who has cut the scene and THEN I was given ALEs which should have come with the rushes (I did not know I was meant to get these).
I know I can merge this with existing master clips but what I'm trying to understand is:
1st Will merging them with master clips in bins where I imported these will then have effect on subclips the editor has used? Is there something I should be careful about?
2nd What would be the worst case scenario if I was not eventually given these and did not realise myself I needed them? Would they miss the information in the grade?
3rd How will the information from ALEs get to online? Is this somehow part of the AAFs I give them or do they have all this info in the full res clips they get?

I hope these questions are not too dumb, I was trying to do some research but it's still not very clear to me.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Adding metadata from ALEs later in the process
on Nov 30, 2017 at 4:19:52 am

Is there anything else being logged in Resolve that you find missing in the clips? If not, there should be no issues as long as a minimum, you have the proper value in TAPE column and timecode.

You can merge the ALE into existing master clips. Some columns may have their information updated that will propagate to the subclip. Which ones to be exact is unknown, but some will. When you open the ALE, anything in there that you feel is needed that you don't already have logged?

Michael

Return to posts index

Alice Ingeli
on Dec 1, 2017 at 12:19:41 pm

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your reply. I do have proper TC and Tape but in addition to those the ALEs also have Unc, Source resolution, Source bit depth, Source file path, Display name, Filter, Camera FPS, Camera ID, Iso, Lens number, Lens type, Shutter, Camera serial no., Camera type, White point, Clip number, Gamma notes, Resolve sizing.

I don't feel like we necessarily need all these in the edit but I suppose I was looking for re-assurance that once turned over to online they will have all the info they need from the source files if that question makes any sense?

Thanks again,

Alice

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 1, 2017 at 1:20:37 pm

For a traditional conform, you are probably fine as you are. A lot of the other metadata can come in handy for a VFX pipeline in addition to color space, LUT and other associated image metadata. I would check with whoever is doing your conform.

You can always merge. I would suggest you delete any metadata from the ALE that you don't want to change in your already logged clips. So things like Name, Scene, Take, etc. in the ALE should not be present. But all the camera metadata you mentioned should remain.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]