FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cross Platform Relink

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
Cross Platform Relink
on Nov 23, 2017 at 11:34:38 pm

I just did a 20-day shoot Helium RED AMA in Avid MC 8.9.3 Windows 10 and need to copy the project to the Mac so that I can share the load for Transcode.
My choice would have been REDCINE but that's a different issue.
I have tried all options and cant get the files to relink.
I copied the RED data on the Mac side and aside from redoing the AMA, there has to be an easier way.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Cross Platform Relink
on Nov 26, 2017 at 6:02:52 pm

Unfortunately, there is no way within Avid to tell the box that a particular drive letter in Windows is the same as a particular volume name in Mac. Resolve allows this in a shared database environment, but Avid does not.

Having done this myself with a 9 month shoot a couple of years ago, I feel your pain. My solution was to copy the project over, which I assume you have done. Leave the original amas in their current location. (always keep your original ama's)

Create a new bin called mac links, or something like that. Use the alt drag method to drag all your red clips into this new bin. (or perhaps the source browser will work as well, depending on your folder structures)

This will create a set of new amas in this bin, but it will also update the path of your original amas in their original locations. Once all the clips are in, you should be able to delete the 'mac links" bin, and use the original links as if nothing had ever happened. A bit more time consuming than just entering a new path for files...which I have been asking for in the ama world for years, but it does work.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Cross Platform Relink
on Nov 27, 2017 at 2:41:20 pm

Thanks Glenn for sharing that.
I had to use Resolve 12.5 to export my Helium files to avoid the cross-platform issue.
The beauty is that I had an HP Z840 and a Mac Pro to work with.
Got over 2000 clips to export in 4 days.
The trick is to make sure the AAF file is created.
For some reason, a few attempts didn't create one for me.
Another burn is that I cant use the AUDIO SYNC option in Resolve.
Crazy bug with that going into Avid MC 8.9.3.
I do have all the RAW data imported and relinked on both platforms.
I will know later if the rendered MXFs will play nice across.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]