FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble swapping and relinking new transcodes

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dana Laman
Trouble swapping and relinking new transcodes
on Nov 18, 2017 at 2:06:24 am

I am working in Media Composer 8.8.3 and working with MXF transcodes made in Resolve 12.5. I need to swap out some of my transcodes that had the wrong LUT applied in Resolve. Using the the exact same Resolve project that created the original set, I applied the correct LUT and output a new set that should otherwise be exactly the same as the old set. Same specs, file names, audio tracks, clip length. I thought it would be a pretty straightforward swap out but my project won't relink to the new transcodes.

I have tried a few things to troubleshoot: When I originally made the swap, I kept the old database files from the old transcodes. When that didn't work I deleted the database files and let Avid rebuild them. When that didn't work I tried relinking manually inside the project. Nothing is working. Is there anything else I can try to make this work? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Trouble swapping and relinking new transcodes
on Nov 18, 2017 at 3:09:23 pm

When you say project cannot relink, can you be more specific? Are you saying your original master clips, sync clips, subclips, group clips, sequences, etc. don't update with the newly created media? Were those files creates as native MXF OPAtom? If you put those files into their own numbered folder in the Avid MediaFiles/MXF folder structure, do they appear as clips in the bin when you import the msmMMOB.mdb into an empty bin?

I find Media Composer to be hit and miss with new mediafiles, especially with group clips. My preferred method when trying to update the media only and not the master clip metadata in Media Composer is to export out an MXF OP1a from Resolve or MOV with whatever DNxHD codec you are using. In Media Composer, go back to the original master clips that have the wrong LUT and delete the media, but not the clip. Then I batch import the OP1a files into those clips. This preserves all the downstream clips that were made from the original master clip.

Michael

Return to posts index

Dana Laman
on Nov 20, 2017 at 7:02:13 pm

Hey Michael, thanks for the quick response! That's correct, the master clips, sync clips, subclips, group clips, sequences, etc. don't update with the newly created media. And yes, the files are MXF OP-Atom. I have them in their own numbered folder (I have a new numbered folder for each shoot day and it is just one shoot day that had the wrong LUT). I did test importing the msmMMOB.mdb into an empty bin and yes they do appear as clips. I noticed that roughly half the clips appeared to be AMA linked (indicated by the link icon) but not all. No reason that I can tell, all the transcodes are the same codec.

I want to try the batch import method you suggest, but curious about why the new transcodes need to MXF OP1a instead of MXF OP-Atom as the originals were? Thanks so much for your help!

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Nov 20, 2017 at 2:55:11 am

Have you tried unchecking some things when manually relinking? Such as 'only link to media in current project" or something like that? You can also uncheck the case sensitive option. Sometimes changing a couple of those makes a difference, especially the project one since the new media isn't associated with your project (I believe).

Also, make sure that you are asking it to load the media databases.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 20, 2017 at 8:38:05 pm

I'm wondering if it's because you made NEW media. NEW file names... How can it relink when it's not linking to the masters via AMA...something it would have a connection to....or to transcodes made from those AMA linked files...something else it has a link to. You made media...linked to that. Then made NEW media...completely new in Avid's eyes. So it's not relinking because those are different files.

Just a theory, but one based on past experience.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 20, 2017 at 9:14:37 pm

I actually got ahead of myself with OP1a - you will need a format that Media Composer can IMPORT and no link to, so make MOV wrapped DNxHD. "Batch Import" relies on what is supported via Import, so...

As to why you are getting half your OPAtom with links and half not, I don't know. Very strange. There's some conflict or confusion with existing clips, but I am not sure what is could be.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]