FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I learn to edit Avid Media Composer?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren Marshall
Should I learn to edit Avid Media Composer?
on Nov 4, 2017 at 9:39:00 am

Is this the best system to study if I want to edit reality TV shows in Australia?

What addition programs should I learn?

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Cheers

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Should I learn to edit Avid Media Composer?
on Nov 4, 2017 at 3:43:07 pm

If you have particular production in mind, you might want to ask them what they use.

I'm sure most on this forum would say "yes learn Avid" but that doesn't do you any good if the show you want to try to get on with uses FCP or Premiere.

Personally I would try to learn everything you can...its the way the world works today.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 4, 2017 at 7:48:22 pm

Well, in the USA, Reality shows are pretty much 99% if not more cut on Avid. It's the ability to share projects and bins that is the reason for this. So, if the trend follows, I'd guess it's the same for Australia. But I'd ask companies down there what they use, just to be sure. But yeah, currently Avid is used in 90% of broadcast work, and almost 100% in reality TV due to project sharing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 4, 2017 at 10:26:07 pm

ooh ! I know the answer to this question.
1) find the production company that is doing the reality show
2) ask the post production supervisor what they use to edit with
2A) - this is the most important part of my answer -
"no one will take my call, I can't get the answer to this question - what software do they use" -

THAT IS YOUR #1 problem. Who CARES if you are qualified, and an expert in knowing how to use FCP X, Adobe Premiere, Davinci Resolve, or AVID Media Composer. You can be an expert and NO ONE WILL CARE - because you can't get anyone to TALK to you. You have only ONE job more important than learning AVID Media Composer. Learn how to GET SOMEONE on the phone, and FIND OUT THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION. So? What qualifications does this take. What course do you take at the University to find out HOW TO GET SOMEONE ON THE PHONE. This is the answer to your question. Go out to your local bar (I don't care if you drink or not) - find the most attractive person there (I don't care if it's a girl or a guy) and say "hi - can I buy you a drink". GET REJECTED. "Oh, I can't do that" - then I don't care if you are the worlds best expert in Media Composer - you will NEVER GET A JOB working on a reality show, editing (or being the assistant editor, or being the assistant to the assistant editor). Get some balls, make the call, FIND OUT no matter what it takes (including being arrested for stalking) and THEN you can learn whatever they say you need to know to work on the reality show.

THAT is 95 % of the battle. Do you know why ? Because if you become an expert in Media Composer (or Resolve, or FCP X or Premiere) and you DO get in as an assistant on this reality show, you will quickly realize (if you are in fact an expert) that almost EVERYONE that you are working with is basically incompetent. You will say to yourself "how the hell did these people ever get a job here - they don't even know how to use Media Composer". WELCOME to the world. Get some balls, and you will have no problem being employed full time at whatever you want to do with your life.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Warren Marshall
on Nov 5, 2017 at 12:38:55 am

Thanks, Bob.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm actually attempting a mid-life career change - advertising creative to video editor. Advertising was just as challenging to break into to.

The reason I'm aiming for reality television is my background. I understand script writing and storytelling, having spent many years writing TV ads and longer form content. But maybe this approach is wrong. What type of editing role do you think someone with my background should be aiming for? Of course I'd love to edit features, but that's more of an end goal.

Why the career change? Well, advertising is incredibly ageist - especially in Oz. And editing has always been a passion of mine and I want to enjoy my working life more than I currently do.

Cheers,
Warren

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 5, 2017 at 2:24:58 pm

here is the reality of what will happen. You will learn AVID Media Composer. You will work very hard to find out who to contact, so you can work on a reality show. No matter how good you are, you will NEVER be hired as the main editor doing creative work when you get started. You will be an assistant. You will be logging media, ingesting media, transcoding media, exporting media for delivery, and doing whatever the editors that are currently working on the project want you to do. If you are good, in time, the editors who are on staff will move on, and as with most cheap companies today, if you have shown your ability to do all the tasks I mentioned above, you will get an opportunity to do creative editing. That opportunity usually shows up, because someone quits, you are willing to work cheap, and they already know you.

You have come from the advertising business. I dealt with the advertising business when I was in NY City. All my clients were either editors for agencies, or the agencies themselves. If you think that working on a TV show will be more creative, and less pressure, with people being "nicer" to you, you are in for a big surprise. There are many levels of a**hole producers in our industry, and if you are an editor, and have to answer to a producer (which you always do on a TV show), you will find that people are not so nice, and it's no more "fun" than working in advertising.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Warren Marshall
on Nov 6, 2017 at 8:47:40 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the advice.

By the sounds of it, you've had some horrible work experiences. I always thought the film and television industry was full of great people. But obviously not.

Can other editors reading this relate to what Bob is saying?

Cheers,
Warren

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Nov 6, 2017 at 10:39:02 pm

Let me state the obvious. In terms of telling a story they're not that much different. The buttons and commands are just in different places. Which is why I switched to Avid, because I like the way the "buttons" can be re-arranged easily and you can layout the keyboard to help you do your best work quickly. But as Bob Zelin (one sweetheart of a guy if there ever was one) said, you don't START as an editor in ANY production environment.

Try Avid Free and see if you like it.

Return to posts index

Warren Marshall
on Nov 7, 2017 at 2:39:53 am

Hi Nick,

Thanks for jumping on this thread and providing your insights - much appreciated!

Thanks,
Warren

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

Warren Marshall
on Nov 5, 2017 at 12:23:37 am

Brilliant! Thanks, Shane.

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

Warren Marshall
on Nov 5, 2017 at 12:22:05 am

Thanks, Glenn.

I think I'll start with AMC, and learn the others in time.

Cheers,
Warren

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]